Red Sox notes: Valentine works on balancing act

764246.jpg

Red Sox notes: Valentine works on balancing act

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- For the first three months of the Red Sox season, Mike Aviles was out of the starting lineup fourtimes.
On the current road trip, now six games old, he's been out for the same number: four.
The Sox are trying to get a better look at rookie shortstop Jose Iglesias, and Aviles has been squeezed out of the lineup as a result.
He played second base the first game in Toronto while Dustin Pedroia was on paternity leave, and returned to shortstop the next night. But Aviles has been absent from the lineup the last four games.
"Pretty hard (balancing act),'' conceded Bobby Valentine of determing playing time for the two. "Mike really wants to play and I understand that totally. But Iggy's gotten on a little roll here so I'd just like to see if that roll can continue. It's tough, though. Really tough.''
Iglesias has had better at-bats of late and has drawn walks in three of his last five starts, but remains hitless on the trip.
When asked if had given consideration to playing Aviles at third base, enabling both Aviles and Iglesias to play in the same infield, Valentine said: "I'm not sure that's fair to (Aviles) - he hasn't taken a ground ball there all year.''
Pedro Ciriaco, who has started all six of the games on the road trip at third base, likely will play the outfield in Thursday's road trip finale.
"I think he's going to be play there (Thursday),'' said Valentine.
Valentine was unsure where Ciriaco would play. Left field would be the least challenging for him, but Jacoby Ellsbury, who has started the last six games on turf -- three at Toronto's Rogers Centre and three at Tropicana Field -- might be in need of a night off.
Ciriaco played some outfield in spring training and has made one start this season in left field, when the Sox were short of outfielders.
"Is it OK to put him out there? Is it fair to the starting pitcher?'' wondered Valentine. "I don't know... I don't know. Maybe. If he makes a great play, it is.''
Ciriaco could improve his value to the Sox -- or another team -- if he could learn to play the outfield and offer more versatility.
"That's more like a winter-time, spring training project,'' said Valentine, "if he's going to be an all-purpose guy or something like that. But he's there to play there. I guess (that would make him) pretty valuable. I don't know what the shape of our team will be next year. He could play out there, I'd be willing to bet.''

James Loney came into Wednesday night hitting just .263 with a homer and six RBI in 19 starts for the Sox, but he's opened some eyes with his glove.
Loney has shown himself to be smooth at the position, with good range toward second and a strong throwing arm.
"Adrian (Gonzalez) is a tough comparison,'' said Valentine of Loney's predecessor, for whom he was traded last month, "in that (Gonzalez) positions himself differently and he's excellent. But after watching Loney, I think his glove is comparable. The throw he made to second on the double play (Monday) night was excellent. I hadn't seen him throw a lot, but fielding, he's very good.''

Red Sox outfield "Win, Dance, Repeat" celebration finds its way on MLB the Show 17

red-sox-outfield-dance-092816.jpg

Red Sox outfield "Win, Dance, Repeat" celebration finds its way on MLB the Show 17

Mooke Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr. and a mix of Andrew Benintendi, Brock Holt, Blake Swihart and Chris Young brought postgame celebrations to a new level last season.

Most Sox fans are familiar with the outfield victory "Win, Dance, Repeat" where the trio would dance and pretend to photograph the game's best player between them. The celebration ended with a pose at first, but as seen the MLB the Show 17's freshly released trailer, a few more wrinkes were added in.

In fact, here's a taste of the celebrations and what else to expect from Playstation's 2017 MLB game:

Report: Red Sox DH target Beltran agrees to 1-year deal with Astros

Report: Red Sox DH target Beltran agrees to 1-year deal with Astros

Carlos Beltran, the 39-year-old switch hitter who was a potential target of the Red Sox as a DH, agreed to a free-agent deal with the Houston Astros, ESPN's Buster Olney reported.

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that it's a one-year, $16 million deal. 

Beltran played for the Astros in 2004. He was dealt from the New York Yankees to the Texas Rangers at the July 31 trading deadline last season. He totaled 35 homers, 101 RBI and hit .295 in 2016. 

The Red Sox, looking to fill the void left by David Ortiz's retirement, will be looking for a DH at the Winter Meetings that begin next week. One possibility is the return of Mike Napoli, who played for the A.L. champion Cleveland Indians last season.

More on the Winter Meetings here from CSN Red Sox Insider Sean McAdam.