Red Sox notes: Roster expansion welcomed

796362.jpg

Red Sox notes: Roster expansion welcomed

ANAHEIM -- Major league rosters expand Saturday, and manager Bobby Valentine expects his injury-depleted club will be getting some reinforcements then.
"There hasn't been a formal discussion about that,'' said Valentine. "But I would think we'll need another catcher, some relief help, and anybody that Ben (Cherington) feels might be benefit from being here in September. And, obviously, we need another outfielder. Hell, for that matter, we can use another infielder.''
Valentine also expects that Rich Hill, who has been on a rehab assignment from a forearm injury for the past few weeks, will rejoin the team Saturday. The hope is that Scott Atchison, also sidelined with a forearm injury, can return, also.
If Valentine wants a catcher, he may be out of luck as the main catcher in Pawtucket is Dan Butler, who's not on the 40-manroster.
Others who could be promoted: outfieler Che-Hsuan Lin, infielder Danny Valencia and pitcher Pedro Beato.

To make room for the activation of starting pitcher Zach Stewart, the Red Sox Wednesday optioned pitcher Clayton Mortensento Double A Portland.
The reason Mortensen was optioned to Portland is because their season ends sooner than Pawtucket's and this proceduralmove allows Mortensen to return Monday, when Portland's season is completed.
Otherwise, Mortensen would have to remain in the minors for a minimum of ten days.

Valentine took exception to a reporter who asked if he had reviewed videotape of Alfredo Aceves nicking Angels infield Erick Aybar in the knee in the ninth inning Tuesday.
"You know, I'm sick of people asking me whether or not we saw anything from the dugout,'' he said, "and whether or not theumpires get the call right. Their job is to get the call right. Simple!
"If they don't get it right, that's not the players' fault for not arguing it. It's not the people in the dugout's fault for not seeing it from 80 feet away. They had a job to do. Just do it, I think. But I really am sick of talking about that stuff.
"If they can't do their job and get it right, then you reporters all change the system.''

Report: Aroldis Chapman, Yankees reach deal for $86M, 5 years

yankees-aroldis-chapman.jpg

Report: Aroldis Chapman, Yankees reach deal for $86M, 5 years

OXON HILL, Md. - Aroldis Chapman found a spot in a most familiar bullpen - a very rich spot, too.

The hard-throwing closer reached agreement to return to the New York Yankees on Wednesday night with the highest-priced contract ever for a relief pitcher, an $86 million deal for five years.

A person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press that the contract was pending a physical. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal was not yet complete.

Once it's done, the 28-year-old lefty whose fastballs routinely top 100 mph would shatter the previous richest contract for a reliever - that was the $62 million, four-year deal Mark Melancon signed with San Francisco just a couple days ago during the winter meetings.

Chapman was acquired by New York from the Cincinnati Reds last offseason, then missed the first 29 games of the season due to a domestic violence suspension from Major League Baseball. The Cuban was traded to the Chicago Cubs in late July and helped them win the World Series, becoming a free agent when it was over.

Chapman went 4-1 with 36 saves and a 1.55 ERA in a combined 59 games for the Yankees and Cubs. He struggled some in the postseason as the Cubs beat Cleveland for their first championship since 1908.

With the Yankees this season, Chapman teamed with Andrew Miller and Dellin Betances in one of the most dominant bullpens in baseball history. Miller was later traded to Cleveland, but Betances is still with New York.

Earlier this week, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said the team was interested in both Chapman and fellow free agent closer Kenley Jansen. The Yankees had already made one deal at these meetings, signing slugger Matt Holliday, before paying a lot more to bring Chapman back to the Bronx.

Fox Sports first reported the agreement.

CSN CHICAGO: Yoan Moncada 'thrilled' to reunite with Jose Abreu on White Sox

CSN CHICAGO: Yoan Moncada 'thrilled' to reunite with Jose Abreu on White Sox

Yoan Moncada and Jose Abreu are back together.

The two Cuban natives were teammates in 2012 when they played for Cienfuegos in Cuba, and now they'll be in the same dugout once again — this time in Chicago.

"To get the opportunity to play with him right now in the United States, it's an honor for me," Moncada said through a translator on a conference call Wednesday. "I'm thrilled with that."

Click here for the complete story on CSNChicago.com