Red Sox notes: Pedroia, Ross, Dice-K, Prior

754476.jpg

Red Sox notes: Pedroia, Ross, Dice-K, Prior

TORONTO Second baseman Dustin Pedroia left Mondays game after the fifth inning with a jammed right thumb and has not played since. For the first time since then, Pedroia took groundballs at second base before the start of Fridays game against the Blue Jays. Pedroia wore a modified splint on his right hand.

Before Pedroia went out to the field, manager Bobby Valentine said there was no timetable for Pedroias return to the lineup.

Just want to let nature takes its time, Valentine said.

While Pedroias on-field activities could be considered progress, it remains to be seen how his thumb responds to the work.

Outfielder Cody Ross, on the disabled list retroactive to May 19 with a fracture in his left navicular bone, will have his foot reexamined upon the teams return to Boston after the three-game series in Toronto.

He is eligible to be activated Sunday. Valentine said when Ross is activated he will probably need some rehab games.

Daisuke Matsuzaka took the loss Thursday as Triple-A Pawtucket fell to Norfolk, 2-0, Thursday. Matsuzaka went 5 13 innings, giving up a run on two hits with no walks and four strikeouts. The lone run came on Lew Fords first-inning home run.

Still, Valentine said the reports on Matsuzaka were favorable.

Reports were much better, valentine said. First-inning home run, up to 94 mph, sat at 91, changeup, worked quick with men on base.

Matsuzaka will stay with the PawSox as they travel for a four-game series to Lehigh Valley to do his side work. He is scheduled to make his next rehab start Tuesday, when the team returns to McCoy Stadium to host Indianapolis.

Outfielder Darnell McDonald, on the DL retroactive to May 12 with a right oblique strain, has resumed his rehab assignment with Pawtucket. He is expected to play with the PawSox through the weekend, Valentine said.

Right-hander Mark Prior has joined the PawSox. Valentine said Prior, who has yet to make an appearance in a game after working out at the organizations training complex in Fort Myers, would work strictly out of the bullpen.

Hes made constant progress, Valentine said. People have liked his attitude and throwing ability.

Prior, who will be 32 in September, has not appeared in the major leagues since 2006 with the Cubs. He was the Cubs' first-round pick (second overall behind the Twins' Joe Mauer) in 2001.

Pedro Martinez to WEEI: Ortiz will make comeback this season

Pedro Martinez to WEEI: Ortiz will make comeback this season

Never say never?

While Red Sox officials said at the team's annual Winter Weekend at Foxwoods on Saturday that they'd be traveling to the Dominican Republic to talk to David Ortiz about a role with the team, Pedro Martinez told WEEI he sees Big Papi returning to his old role - designated hitter - this season.

CSN's Trenni Kusnierek and WEEI's John Tomase talked to Martinez on their show Saturday at Foxwoods and Martinez said his old teammate would be making a comeback despite the long, emotional farewell tour last season. 

For the full interview with Martinez, click here.

Red Sox executives Tom Werner, Sam Kennedy and Dave Dombrowski made no mention of Ortiz returning as a player when talking about their Dominican trip. Ortiz has repeatedly said he is going to stay retired. 

Chris Sale on leaving White Sox: 'Time for both sides to do something different, I guess'

Chris Sale on leaving White Sox: 'Time for both sides to do something different, I guess'

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. -- While there’s a deal of anticipation going into Spring training with the four Killer B’s, David Price and Pablo Sandoval’s shot at redemption and Rick Porcello looking to be something similar to his 2016 self, there’s one name that trumps them all.

Chris Sale.

The lankly lefty received an ovation from fans at the Friday night Town Hall, kicking off Red Sox Winter Weekend. With his consistent success, there’s reason to be excited.

But there’s also reason for apprehension given the way Sale’s departure from Chicago was depicted. But he’s made sure to clear the air.

“I wouldn’t say . . . ya know . . . I loved my time in Chicago,” Sale said when asked if it was time to leave the Windy City. “My best baseball memories are there [and] will be there forever. I love the city; I love the people in the organization.

“It was time for both sides to do something different, I guess. I talked to (White Sox Senior V.P.) Rick on the phone, I talked to (White Sox pitching coach Don) Coop (Cooper). We’re all cool, it’s fine. We understand where both of us are, it happens in baseball, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Chicago.”

He didn’t seem irritated discussing the issue, and certainly wasn’t timid -- we all know that’s not in his DNA.

He genuinely seems excited to deal with the large sum of Sox fans and to call a new place home -- in a city his wife’s fond of no less.

But ultimately, he’s focused on winning, nothing else.

“Every time I’m out there it’s gonna be all I got,” Sale said. "Every time, no matter what. Can promise you that.”