Red Sox notes: Pedroia, Carpenter

872291.jpg

Red Sox notes: Pedroia, Carpenter

TORONTO -- After a three-day paternity leave to be with his wife Kelli for the birth of the second son, Dustin Pedroia rejoined the Sox lineup Saturday.

"They're good,'' declared Pedroia, who flew to Toronto Friday night. "We had the baby Thursday morning and she was in labor all night. But it was awesome. He's big -- he's almost nine pounds. Not much rest, but it was worth it.''

He left Wednesday's game against the Yankees when he learned that his wife had gone to the hosptial.

"She was having some problems the last couple of days,'' said Pedroia. "She was in so much pain that she had to go in. That's when Bobby (Valentine) came up to me (on the field). I thought he was going to yell at me because a line drive almost hit me in the
head. I thought he was going to joke around.

"But when he told me, I got nervous. He was all calm. He just came out and said it. He was all calm about it. I was like, 'Bobby, just spit it out.' He was like, 'Oh, she's in the hospital.'
I kind of panicked. But it all worked out. I got to experience the whole thing this time. It was crazy.''

Pedroia was hitting third in the lineup Saturday. Before he left, Pedroia had hit three homers in his previous five games. Since Aug. 5, Pedroia is hitting .381, tops in the majors for that span and has reached safely in 37 of his last 39 games dating back to August 1.

Chris Carpenter earned his first major league win Friday night, stranding a runner to finish the eighth inning in the Red Sox' 8-5 victory over the Blue Jays.

Over his first four appearances with the Sox since being recalled from Pawtucket, Carpenter has pitched 3 13 scoreless innings.

"He's pitched very well since he's been here,'' said Valentine. "I've been impressed with his velocity and his breaking ball and his re-set command. He'll fire one that looks like it really got away from him and he'll come back right back and make a real good pitch.

"Right now, he seems very good. There's nothing not to like so far.''

Sale: “Time for both sides to do something different, I guess”

sale-redsox.png

Sale: “Time for both sides to do something different, I guess”

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. -- While there’s a deal of anticipation going into Spring training with the four Killer B’s, David Price and Pablo Sandoval’s shot at redemption and Rick Porcello looking to be something similar to his 2016 self, there’s one name that trumps them all.

Chris Sale.

The lankly lefty received an ovation from fans at the Friday night Town Hall, kicking off Red Sox Winter Weekend. With his consistent success, there’s reason to be excited.

But there’s also reason for apprehension given the way Sale’s departure from Chicago was depicted. But he’s made sure to clear the air.

“I wouldn’t say . . . ya know . . . I loved my time in Chicago,” Sale said when asked if it was time to leave the Windy City. “My best baseball memories are there [and] will be there forever. I love the city; I love the people in the organization.

“It was time for both sides to do something different, I guess. I talked to (White Sox Senior V.P.) Rick on the phone, I talked to (White Sox pitching coach Don) Coop (Cooper). We’re all cool, it’s fine. We understand where both of us are, it happens in baseball, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Chicago.”

He didn’t seem irritated discussing the issue, and certainly wasn’t timid -- we all know that’s not in his DNA.

He genuinely seems excited to deal with the large sum of Sox fans and to call a new place home -- in a city his wife’s fond of no less.

But ultimately, he’s focused on winning, nothing else.

“Every time I’m out there it’s gonna be all I got,” Sale said. "Every time, no matter what. Can promise you that.”

Kennedy in pursuit of Drake for concert at Fenway

drake.jpg

Kennedy in pursuit of Drake for concert at Fenway

MASHANTUCKET, Conn. -- Quick, if you could have one artist perform at Fenway Park, who would it be?

Florida Georgia Line or Carrie Underwood?

Kanye West?

Maybe a little throwback with Eminem?

Let’s stick to artists who go by one name actually. Red Sox President Sam Kennedy seems to think that’s a good idea.

“We’ve been approaching Drake, this year, we would love to have Drake come,” Kennedy said at Red Sox Winter Weekend. “We understand he’s not doing a big summer tour, but that’s an example of someone we’ve proactively gone out after.

“We’d love to have him come to Fenway Park, given his popularity.

Fenway will already play host to New Kids on the Block with Paula Abdul and Boysz II Men, James Taylor and Billy Joel, with the possibility of adding more.

“I’m not a huge music person,” Kennedy said. “We’ve tried to bring in as many different types of acts as we can to appeal to different demographics. The reality is with the baseball schedule, with the way it lays out, we’re sort of at the mercy of the touring and who’s out.

“We love having these events in Boston. It’s good for the economy, it’s good for Fenway . . . The city has been a very supportive partner in bringing events into town.”

From what Kennedy and his staff have gathered, it appears Drake is looking to do one-off shows instead of a tour. That’s just enough for the ever-persistent Red Sox President to keep working on bringing in the superstar.

“We’re not gonna give up,” Kennedy said.