Red Sox notes: Ortiz sits vs. lefty Wilson

Red Sox notes: Ortiz sits vs. lefty Wilson
July 5, 2013, 9:15 pm
Share This Post

ANAHEIM, Calif -- As the Red Sox opened their West Coast road trip, David Ortiz was out of the lineup for the first game of the team's three-game set against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

The idea was to give Ortiz a rest after a long night of cross-country travel and was also partly motivated by the fact that the Red Sox were facing the lone lefty (C.J. Wilson) they'll see in the next seven games.

Another likely factor: Ortiz was 2-for-16 (.125) in his career against Wilson.
*****
Clay Buchholz was scheduled for some "light throwing" Friday, with the plan to get out to a distance of 105 feet Saturday, with some flat ground to work to follow.

If all goes well, Buchholz would have a bullpen session Monday in Seattle, followed by another one Thursday, and then make the first of two rehab starts on Sunday July 14.

"There's some recondition that has to go on here,'' Farrell said, "and you can't short-cut that. What we don't want to do is put him or us in a position to, when he comes back to us, to be limited to a certain pitch count that has the potential of over-taking the bullpen.''
*****
Farrell has spoken with American League All-Star manager Jim Leyland about the makeup of the A.L. roster.

Ortiz will be voted the DH starter and Dustin Pedroia is certain to be added as an extra.

Farrell said he advocated for reliever Koji Uehara and outfielder Daniel Nava to get some consideration.

The teams will be announced Saturday.
*****
Jose de la Torre was activated to fill the spot vacated by Stephen Drew going to the DL.

John Farrell noted that de la Torre's "ability against right-handers,''was a contributing factor to his addition to the roster.

"You look at the composuition of our bullpen and looking for a right-hander who has a breaking ball against right-handed hitters,'' Farrell said, "and have a little more uneasy feeling that he could create against right-handed hitters.''

The Sox had been going with a six-man bullpen since last weekend.

"It's nice to have (that extra guy),'' Farrell said, "but if we keep the trend we've had here of late where starters are going deeper into the game, it's just allows another option down there. So when we do go to a guy if we're down a run, we're not pressing into the same guys as when we're up a run. It affords us the opportunity to keep everybody a little bit more fresh.''
*****
Farrell was happy -- and surprised -- that Clayton Mortensen cleared waivers after being designated for assignment last weekend and was assigned to Pawtucket.

"Anytime you can keep major league-experience arms in your control, it's a good thing,'' Farrell said. "He's a known commodity to us. Maybe (he had) some inconsistencies this year because of the hip issue but when needed, if we're pressed to tap into a guy who's known to us and knows the
Boston environment and has pitched effectively here....we're happy he's here with us.''