Red Sox notes: Nava to DL, Lavarnway called up

776784.jpg

Red Sox notes: Nava to DL, Lavarnway called up

BOSTON A day after the non-waiver trading deadline, the Red Sox were not done making roster moves.What would a day in Beantown be without a roster move? manager Bobby Valentine jokingly inquired of the assembled media before Wednesdays season and series finale against the Tigers at Fenway Park.This time, though, has been a common theme for the Sox this season, the moves were because of health.Outfielder Daniel Nava was placed on the disabled list with soreness in both wrists. Catcher Ryan Lavarnway was called up from Triple-A Pawtucket to take his place on the roster. With both Mike Aviles (turf toe) and Kelly Shoppach (sore shin) ailing, Valentine was looking to Lavarnway to provide help from the right-hand side of the plate.Left-hander Craig Breslow, acquired Tuesday from the Diamondbacks, had not yet arrived at Fenway Park. When he does, right-hander Clayton Mortensen, who earned the win Tuesday, will likely be optioned back to Pawtucket.Daniel Nava, who has been playing with a little banged up wrist--actually, both of his wrists have been bothering him a little -- were just going to make sure that he gets fully healed and put him on the disabled list, Valentine said. And considering that Mike is still dealing with his toe and Kelly Shoppach is dealing with his shin situation, Ryan Lavarnways here for that right-handed protection that well need later in the game.If Breslow arrives in time, well have to make another move.Valentine said Shoppach fouled several balls off his shin, causing the soreness, which should not require a DL stint.
-- Valentine has been a big fan of Lavarnways since watching him in spring training. In 83 games with Pawtucket, Lavarnway is hitting .295 with eight home runs and 43 RBI for a .376 on-base percentage and .439 slugging percentage.I loved him in spring training and since hes continued to make improvements, Valentine said. Offensively, Pawtucket manager Arnie Beyeler says hes definitely ready and will continue to improve and we hope he continues his improvements, and defensively the same. Hes ready but we want him to continue to improve.-- David Ortiz, on the DL since July 17 with a right Achilles strain, is progressing. However, there is still no timetable for him to come off the DL, which he was eligible to do today.Yesterdays batting practice was great but he still was a little hesitant to run or jump or move quickly, Valentine said. He said today when he woke up was the first day he had no pain walking. And so he was going to do some agility work out on the field. Obviously because of the pregame rain, its being moved to the exercise room or something where hell do some light work. But it wont be really what we wanted. Hes getting closer, that being said.
-- With Josh Beckett ailing, left-hander Franklin Morales could possibly move back to the rotation. Morales, 2-2, with a 3.32 ERA, made five starts earlier this season.Lets say that well err on the side of caution with him, Valentine said. Theres not a formal plan for him to make a start but hes definitely in the wings. Hes been up a lot of times in the bullpen and hes thrown a couple of times in the games in the last five days. Today would be probably an off-day anyway and that would give us a little more time tomorrow to evaluate the situation. But hed be our first choice if we need a starter.
-- Andrew Bailey, who has been on the DL all season after thumb surgery, made an appearance for the Gulf Coast League Wednesday afternoon in his first outing on a his rehab assignment.
He threw 22 pitches I believe, had a strikeout, he made a good fielding play, he had good aggression out on the mound and felt good after the performance, Valentine said. Hell make another appearance in a couple of days (GCL).Valentine said Bailey would need no more than nine innings on his rehab outing to get ready. He also said he would not necessarily have to progress through each level.

McAdam: Prospects of a Papelbon-Red Sox reunion dimming

McAdam: Prospects of a Papelbon-Red Sox reunion dimming

BOSTON -- Until next Wednesday, major league teams can add to their rosters and have the new additions still be eligible for postseason play.

But don't expect the Red Sox to do any serious upgrading.

The bullpen could sorely use some reinforcements, but the difficulty of obtaining help at this time of year -- when players changing teams must first clear waivers -- is problematic.

Asked recently the odds of the Sox making a deal to bolster the team's relief group, an industry source reponded: "Pretty slim.''

The source went on to say that any relievers of value have been routinely "blocked'' -- i.e., claimed by a team before being pulled back by the original club.

The few relievers who have successfully cleared waivers -- including Oakland's Ryan Madson and Chicago's David Robertson -- are those with multiyear commitments that extend beyond this season.

And just because the likes of Madson and Robertson have cleared waivers doesn't guarantee they're necessarily available. At this time of the year, teams routinely send their players through waivers to provide them with flexibilty and to determine the level of interest for deals in the off-season.

In the case of Robertson, the Red Sox would be taking on $25 million in future salary for 2017 and 2018 for a pitcher who would not be serving as their closer. The Sox control Craig Kimbrel for two more seasons, with a guaranteed contract for 2017 and a team option for 2018.

One major-league executive noted that teams are often reluctant to take on a reliever with a multiyear contract, since the existence of a future commitment could restrict a team in terms of usage.

Better to have a player on an expiring deal, the executive suggested, with no worries about future obligations.

It's still possible that the Sox could acquire Jonathan Papelbon, whose case has gone cold in the past week. Only 10 days ago, reports had Papelbon ready to sign within 24 hours with one of the handful of clubs expressing an interest in him.

But since then, Papelbon hasn't been heard from. One source indicated that Papelbon's interest in signing elsewhere may be impacted by a family situation.

Whatever the reason, the longer Papelbon goes without signing somewhere, the tougher it is to imagine him having much impact. 

Papelbon last pitched for the Washington Nationals on Aug. 6, three weeks ago. He would need some time on a minor-league assignment in order to be major league-ready for the final month.

And while Papelbon would enjoy returning to the familiarity of Boston, he's not close to the same pitcher that he was when he left after 2011. Indeed, Papelbon isn't even the same pitcher he was in his final two seasons with the Philadelphia Phillies.

The Red Sox, reduced to matching up night after night in the eighth inning, would still welcome him back. But there are other options to upgrade a porous bullpen, options that would seem to make the odds of a Papebon-Red Sox reunion negligible.