Red Sox Notes: Napoli cleared to play

Red Sox Notes: Napoli cleared to play
August 20, 2013, 9:15 pm
Share This Post
(AP Photo)

SAN FRANCISCO -- First baseman Mike Napoli, still battling some plantar fasciitis, was out of the starting lineup for the fourth straights game, but manager John Farrell said Napoli had been cleared to play again.
      
"I wanted a lefthanded hitter (in the lineup against San Francisco righthander Ryan Vogelsong)," said Farrell of his decision to play Mike Carp at first Tuesday night. "Mike going through early work today, he feels improved and he'll be available for defense late tonight and possibly a pinch-hit."
      
The Giants changed their rotation, with lefty Barry Zito replacing righthander Chad Gaudin in the series finale Wednesday, but Farrell hinted that he would go with David Ortiz -- who sat Tuesday -- back at first base, even with Zito.
      
Farrell said last week that he envisioned having Ortiz in the lineup twice in the three-game series here.
     
*****
     
Lefty reliever Matt Thornton will throw a simulated game Friday at Dodger Stadium, and it's possible he could be immediately activated.
     
Thornton threw a 35-pitch bullpen Tuesday afternoon after spending the last two weeks on the disabled list with an oblique pull.
     
It's likely that Thornton would replace Brayan Villarreal on the roster once he's ready.