Red Sox notes: Ellsbury out, Lester close to 200 innings

869883.jpg

Red Sox notes: Ellsbury out, Lester close to 200 innings

BOSTON Center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury is out of the starting lineup for the Wednesdays final home game of the season against the Rays. It is the fifth straight game he has been out of the lineup (but he did get into Thursdays game in Tampa Bay).Hes doing OK, manager Bobby Valentine said. The training staff thought another day would be best and being he doesnt play today he gets two days rest with Thursdays off-day. Hopefully hell be OK when we get to Baltimore.Asked if there is a possibility Ellsbury could be shut down for the season, Valentine replied:If it comes to that, yeah. He says he wants to play.While Ellsburys ailment has not been disclosed it is believed to be a lat injury that affects his throwing.
-- Jon Lester enters Wednesdays game against the Rays having pitched 194 13 innings. He missed the 200-inning plateau last season, the first time since 2007, when he pitched 191 23 innings. Valentine said Lester is also expected to get one more start after tonight.I talked to Jon the other day and hes at the bottom of the tank, Valentine said. Hes not on fumes yet and I asked he and Aaron Cook about two more starts and they both seemed ready at that time willing and able.
-- Asked what he would like of Daniel Bard for the offseason, Valentine replied:I dont have that wish list yet but thatll be a project, Valentine said. And mainly just put this season in the rear view mirror.
-- Several players are planning to play winter ball, including Mauro Gomez and Pedro Ciriaco. Valentine said a decision had not yet been made about Jose Iglesias. Left-hander Franklin Morales is one of the players who will not be in winter ball.We want him to get on a complete physical arm strengthening conditioning program, Valentine said. We dont want to take any bullets out of the gun.
-- The Sox are planning to honor an all-Fenway team before tonights game. The team comprises the greatest Sox players in Fenway Park history as determined by fan voting, historians, staff, and the teams historical and archival consultants. Fans are encouraged to be in their seats by 6:30 p.m. for the program.

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.