- Stephen Drew (concussion) had a full workout, including a regular batting practice session, then took about 25 grounders on a back field.
"He felt good coming out of that'' said Farrell, "with no increase in any kind of symptoms. He'll have a full workout again tomorrow." Meanwhile, David Ortiz worked out inside and took batting practice in the cage.
- Junichi Tazawa went two innings, giving up two runs on no hits and two walks, with a strikeout.
- Anthony Carter gave up his first runs of the spring after going scoreless in 9 1/3 innings over eight games. He allowed a two-run home run to Pedro Alvarez in the Pirates’ four-run eighth.
- Farrell said David Ortiz, who has been resting his ailing heels, had “a good day” Saturday hitting in the cage. Ortiz will also attempt that again on Sunday.
- Pedro Ciriaco (back spasms) did not play Saturday as the Sox had hoped. He hasn’t played since March 14. He is scheduled to play in a minor league game Sunday, getting 3-4 at-bats.
- Ryan Sweeney, Lyle Overbay, Mike Carp, and Daniel Nava will also play in minor league games Sunday, getting 3-4 at-bats each.