BOSTON -- With the White Sox starting right-hander Andre Rienzo for the season series finale Sunday afternoon at Fenway Park, manager John Farrell is giving Mike Napoli a day off and starting Mike Carp at first base.
“Rest and keeping everyone involved,” Farrell said. “Right-hander on the mound, lefthanders off the bench and into today’s game. We’ve got three more right-handers coming this next series [Tigers’ Doug Fister, Max Scherzer, and Rick Porcello]. Just trying to keep everyone as fresh as possible and everyone involved.”
* With rosters expanding today, the Sox added Quentin Berry, catcher Ryan Lavarnway, and right-hander Rubby De La Rosa. Brandon Snyder was activated from the disabled list. All were in the clubhouse Sunday morning.
* Infielder John McDonald, acquired in a trade with the Phillies Saturday night, was not yet at the park, but Farrell said the infielder was en route and expected at Fenway by game time.
“Depth in the middle of the infield, season veteran, an elite defender fills a specific need,” Farrell said of McDonald, who was born in Conn., went to Providence College, and now lives in Scituate, Mass.
* The Sox are a major league-best 24-12 (.667) in day games this season. Their 3.03 ERA in day games leads the American League and ranks second in the majors to the Dodgers (2.50).
* Rienzo is scheduled to make his seventh start of the season on Sunday. It will be his fifth road start. In his last outing, Aug. 26 against the Astros, he took his fifth no-decision, going six innings, allowing a career-high seven runs, nine hits, and three home runs, while striking out four and walking three. This will be his first career appearance against any American League East team.
* Red Sox lineup: 1. Ellsbury CF 2. Victorino, RF 3. Pedroia 2B 4. Ortiz DH 5. Nava LF 6. Carp 1B 7. Saltalamacchia C 8. Drew SS 9. Bogaerts 3B
Doubront LHP (10-6, 3.74)
* White Sox: 1. De Aza CF 2. L Garcia 2B 3. Ramirez SS 4. Konerko DH 5. A Garcia RF 6. Keppinger 1B 7. Viciedo LF 8. Gillaspie 3B 9. Flowers C
Rienzo, RHP (1-0, 4.21)