Red Sox notes: Buchholz scheduled to go two innings

Red Sox notes: Buchholz scheduled to go two innings
March 2, 2013, 11:30 am
Share This Post

Clay Buchholz is catching some heat for his slow return to the mound despite what appears to be good health.

(USA Today Sports Images)

FORT MYERS, Fla. – With the quick turnaround after Friday’s night game, just a few early Red Sox notes before Saturday’s matinee with the Twins at Hammond County Stadium:
  • Clay Buchholz is scheduled to start and go two innings, throwing about 35 pitches.
  • Alfredo Aceves will follow Buchholz, going three innings and about 50 pitches. This will be Aceves’ last outing with the Sox before leaving to join Team Mexico in Arizona for the World Baseball Classic.
  • Clayton Mortensen, Allen Webster, Jose De La Torre and Anthony Carter are also on the pitching list.
  • Right fielder Shane Victorino will bat lead-off in his final game with the Sox before leaving to join Team USA in Arizona.
  • Although Victorino and center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury are working to find a rhythm in the outfield, manager John Farrell said he preferred not to play Ellsbury, who played Friday night, against the Twins on Saturday.
  • Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia has not played since Wednesday against the Orioles in Baltimore. He has been dealing with lower back stiffness the last few days. He had originally been scheduled to catch Saturday, but Farrell kept him out of the lineup for “precautionary” reasons. Saltalamacchia should be available to play Sunday against the Yankees.
  • David Ortiz, who had been out of camp for a few days to attend to a personal matter, returned Friday night. He is scheduled to run the bases again on Saturday. Farrell said his rehab protocol will now consist strictly of on-field baseball activities. He is expected to get into his first Grapefruit League game at the end of the week.
  • Third baseman Will Middlebrooks is back in the lineup after an injury scare, when he left the game during his first at-bat Wednesday night. He is batting third. Farrell said Middlebrooks is “a full go.”
  • Sox top prospect Xander Bogaerts began play in the WBC Saturday with Team Netherlands, which beat Korea, 5-0. Bogaerts started at third base. He batted sixth, going 0-for-2 with a walk. In the field he started a 5-4-3 double play.
  • Left-hander Franklin Morales, who started Wednesday, going one inning against the Orioles, has been sidelined by “a little back stiffness,” Farrell said.  There is no timetable for him to get back into a game. Morales must respond to treatment before he can be scheduled again.
  • Left fielder Jonny Gomes is out of the lineup again. He suffered a laceration on his left knee when he collided with the outfield wall Wednesday, requiring three stitches to close what he called “a nice ninja slice.” Farrell said Gomes could be back in the lineup Sunday or Monday.  Farrell and Gomes both said if it was the regular season Gomes would be in the lineup, but the Sox want to take advantage of the time early in spring to let the injury fully heal.
  • Right-hander Daniel Bard has not pitched in a game since Monday in Port Charlotte against the Rays. The right-hander, whose struggles in 2012 got him demoted to Triple-A Pawtucket, has been working on his mechanics on the side. He will have a side session Saturday and is scheduled to pitch against the Rays on Monday.
  • Right-hander Pedro Beato, who has not pitched since Tuesday against the Cardinals, has been slowed by right shoulder stiffness.
 
  • Outfielder Alex Hassan, who has been sidelined by a stress fracture in his left foot suffered while hitting in the offseason, had a follow-up MRI on Thursday and has been cleared for all baseball activities. There is no timetable yet for him to get into a game, but he began hitting off a tee yesterday and will begin running today.
  • It’s a chilly, overcast day in Fort Myers. Only 55 degrees shortly before game time.