BOSTON -- Some afternoon notes and updates from Fenway:
* * * * *
Clay Buchholz, who is battling inflammation in the bursa sac, threw from a distance of 60 feet today and will eventually ramp up to 90 feet and 120 before getting back on the mound.
"This was basically the first step, the first day in the current throwing program,'' said John Farrell. "No issues. The throwing program will be outlined to 60, 90, 120 for a progrEssive number of throws before we get him on a mound. We don't have a specific date that, right now, he would get back on a mound.''
Farrell said Buchholz will, in time, throw on consecutive days, though some days will be lighter than others.
He added that Buchholz will travel with the team to the West Coast when it departs Thursday night.
* * * * *
Shortstop Stephen Drew, who's been sidelined since Friday last week with a strained hamstring, is "improving'' according to Farrell.
"He's been responding favorably to treatment,'' said Farrell. "He's still day-to-day. Don't have a projected date this week when he'll get back on the field.''
Farrell added that Drew is "unlikely'' to play before the homestand ends Thursday afternoon, but said the team is still "hopeful'' Drew can avoid the DL.
"If there's any delays, we'll adjust,'' said Farrell. "But as of now, that's our approach.''
* * * * *
Tuesday is the start of international signing period, and though it has been reported the Red Sox have signed third baseman Rafael Devers for $1.5 million, one club source denied that a deal was in place. However, the source acknowledged the Sox were getting closer to a deal and were hopeful of finalizing a contract.
Devers, 16, is a left-hand-hitting third baseman with decent raw power and was ranked as the third-best international prospect available by Baseball America and sixth overall by MLB.com
Teams are assigned cap limits for international signings, based on an inverse order of 2012 final standings. The Sox have a budget of $3.17 million, meaning Devers would consume nearly half of that.