Red Sox hand Aceves three game suspension

766354.jpg

Red Sox hand Aceves three game suspension

BOSTON -- According to a tweet from MLB, the Red Sox have suspended Alfredo Aceves three games "for conduct detrimental to the team."

Aceves was visibly upset on Friday night after Bobby Valentine decided to stick with Andrew Bailey for the four-out save, instead of going to Aceves -- the team's closer -- in the ninth. Aceves was witnessed storming out of the manager's office after the game. The night before, Aceves blew a save in the ninth inning, and then picked up the loss in the 10th to the Los Angeles Angels. After that game, Aceves refused to take accountability for his poor performance.

"I missed a couple of pitches, ya, obvious," said Aceves after Thursday night's loss. "It's not about that. We lost the game. There were like 25 runs. So it's not that I pitched one pitch, and that we would lose because of that, no. It was the entire game, the entire game.

"It's not about me me, it's not about me," he later added when asked how he would bounce back from this. "I mean, we've been playing expletive, expletive baseball."

Here was MLB's tweet tonight, during the Red Sox game against the Royals:

BREAKING: @RedSox suspend RHP Alfredo Aceves for 3 games for conduct detrimental to the team.

Aceves was in the Red Sox clubhouse before Saturday's game.

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.