Red Sox 'expect' Beckett to pitch Saturday

560312.jpg

Red Sox 'expect' Beckett to pitch Saturday

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Not all of the thumb injury news is catastrophic for the Red Sox.
While Andrew Bailey seems headed for surgery that could sideline, according to a source, three to four months, starter Josh Beckett is still on target to make his scheduled start in the second game of the season Saturday in Detroit.
Beckett, like Bailey, was due to be examined by specialist Dr. Thomas Graham in Cleveland Tuesday. But the visit seems designed to provide Beckett more with peace of mind after getting another consultation with a specialist in San Antonio Monday.
"Josh has had some soreness off-and-on this spring that he's pitched through,'' said general manager Ben Cherington. "We took the opportunity in the time between his last outing, an extended side he threw in Fort Myers and (the second game of the season in Detroit) to try let him gather as much information as possible so we can help him manage it as best as possible.''
Beckett threw a side session Sunday in Fort Myers, then flew to Texas and on to Ohio to make sure the thumb wasn't going to be a hinderance.
"He's not that concerned about it. We expect him to pitch (the second game), '' said Cherington. "So, it's mostly information-gathering at this point.''
Cherington added that a nagging innjury of this sort "isn't atypical for any player . . . you have something and it crops up from time-to-time and you have to manage it and he's managing it . . . It's something he's been able to pitch through and he's been pitching with, so we're not that concerned.''
The GM added that Beckett has not been restricted from throwing any particular pitch, including his curveball, which is a big part of his repertoire.
"He threw his curveball plenty this spring,'' said Cherington, "and threw it effectively, so I don't think there's any one pitch he's not going to use. He's evolved as a pitcher, but he's not eliminating anything.''

Patriots release DT Darius Kilgo, reportedly sign WR Griff Whalen

Patriots release DT Darius Kilgo, reportedly sign WR Griff Whalen

The New England Patriots have announced that they've released defensive tackle Darius Kilgo. 

The move creates an opening for wide receiver Griff Whalen, who they have reportedly signed to a one-year deal, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

Kilgo, a sixth-round pick out of Maryland in 2015, did not make an appearance for the Patriots after being claimed off waivers from the Broncos last week. He played 81 snaps for Denver this season.

Whalen, 26, played in two games for San Diego in 2016 where he caught two passes for a total of 22 yards. 

The former Colts wideout is perhaps best remembered in New England for his part in Indianapolis' disastrous fake punt against the Patriots last season.

 

 

 

Thomas won’t play Friday night vs. Raptors

Thomas won’t play Friday night vs. Raptors

WALTHAM, Mass. – The Celtics are about to hit one of the toughest stretches of the season and they’ll have to do it for at least one more game without their leading scorer, Isaiah Thomas. 
 
Thomas, who suffered a right groin injury on Monday against the Houston Rockets, did not play on Wednesday against Orlando and said that he will not play in Friday night’s game against the Toronto Raptors. 
 
“It’s day to day. I want to play. I want to be out there but it’s the smart decision to hold out and wait until it’s 100 percent,” Thomas said during a Season of Giving event for children of the Military Friends Foundation held at the Celtics’ practice facility. “If it was a playoff game I would be out there for sure.”
 
However, after consulting with a number of medical personnel, Thomas decided the best thing for him and the Celtics was to sit out Friday’s game which, along with Wednesday in Orlando, will be the first two he has missed since the 2014-2015 season. 
 
Thomas said there’s no specific timetable for his return, but he said he is planning to travel with the team to Oklahoma City for their matchup against the Thunder on Sunday. 
 
“It’s eating me a live to sit, but I have to do what’s best for my body, I have to do what’s best for this team,” Thomas said. “I need to be 100 percent healthy to give this team what I can give them.”
 
The Celtics are hoping for similar success they had Wednesday in Orlando (a 117-87 victory) on Friday against Toronto.
 
“They played a hell of a game last night,” Thomas said. “They’ll be ready tomorrow.”
 
The fact that Thomas intends to travel with the team is a good sign that the groin injury isn’t too serious. 
 
If he doesn’t play at Oklahoma City, that likely means he’ll return to action on Wednesday at San Antonio. 
 
“I’m going to do what I can to get back out there on the court,” Thomas said. “I gotta be smart about this. I don’t want this to linger on this season.”
 
Replacing Smart in the lineup against Toronto will most likely be Marcus Smart. 
 
Smart, who has been a replacement starter at small forward and point guard this season, had 13 points, three rebounds, three assists and two steals against the Magic.