Red Sox drop third straight after 5-3 loss to Tribe

840849.jpg

Red Sox drop third straight after 5-3 loss to Tribe

CLEVELAND Bobby Valentine said before Thursdays game that his Red Sox club was going to go on a run because theyre due for some good luck.

Looks like theyll be waiting for another day for their balance to come due as they once again fell just short in a 5-3 loss to the Cleveland Indians at Progressive Field. Its Bostons third loss in a row and drops them three games under .500 on the season.

Felix Doubront, Bostons most consistent starter all season, appeared to wear down in the fifth in his second straight disappointing start. Doubront went just 4.1 innings giving up four runs and seven hits while walking two and striking out four.

Meanwhile the Sox looked like the keystone kops running the bases in the final innings attempting to eke out a single run.

Things didnt start all that groovy for the Sox early when Jason Donald served as a last minute lineup replacement in the leadoff spot, and kicked the game off with a solo blast to right field.

Doubront wiggled his way out of a two-out jam to end the first inning, and then cruised through the next five while waiting for the Sox offense to get things going.

That finally happened in the fourth inning when the red-hot Dustin Pedroia led off with a single, and Adrian Gonzalez launched a 395 foot bomb into the right field stands to give the Sox a one-run advantage.

For those scoring at home thats six home runs and 29 RBI for Gonzalez since the Major League All-Star break. The Sox tacked another run on an RBI double from Pedroia serving as the designated hitter for the first time in his career in his 14th straight game played -- in the top of the fifth. They needed it when Doubront appeared to tire in the fifth inning and got knocked out of the game after a pair of walks got the rookie lefty into a bases loaded jam.

Run-scoring hits from Asdrubal Cabrera and Carlos Santana tied things up, and a Michael Brantley sacrifice fly off reliever Andrew Miller pushed the Tribe to a 4-3 lead over the Sox. Ubaldo Jimenez had one of his best starts of the year for Cleveland as he sailed through six innings of work and fanned a season-high 10 Sox batters while outpitching Doubront.

The Sox had a fine situation to potentially tie things up when Pedro Ciriaco led off the seventh inning with a double to right field, but careless base-running led to Ciriaco and Carl Crawford getting gunned down in a rally crushing double play.

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.