Red Sox drop eighth straight to M's, 8-6

Red Sox drop eighth straight to M's, 8-6
August 24, 2014, 5:15 pm
Share This Post

BOSTON -- Maybe a change of scenery will do them some good. 

The Red Sox dropped Sunday's getaway-day game with the Mariners, 8-6, for their eight consecutive loss and their ninth defeat during a disastrous 11-game home stand at Fenway Park. 
While Boston's offense showed life at points, it couldn't overcome the six runs allowed by starter Allen Webster in his 4.1 innings of work. 
He allowed three runs in the first inning on five hits, one run in the fourth inning, and two more in the fifth on a Dustin Ackley RBI triple and a Brad Miller sac fly. 
Craig Breslow and the recently re-called Heath Hembree kept the Mariners scoreless over the next 2.2 innings, but lefty reliever Tommy Layne allowed a run on a Kyle Seager single in the eighth that proved to be the game-winner. Seattle added another run in the ninth when Miller knocked an RBI double off of Edward Mujica.
The Red Sox offense was led by Will Middlebrooks and Yoenis Cespedes, who was on base four times, scored twice, and drove home a run with a single in the first inning. Middlebrooks knocked a two-RBI single in the first inning to tie the game, 3-3. He drove home another in the third inning with an RBI double that chased Seattle starter Hisashi Iwakuma from the game after just 2.1 innings and 67 pitches.
Iwakuma was uncharacteristically inaccurate on Sunday, hitting two batters and walking one during his outing. He came into the day with just 12 walks in 147 innings and zero hit batsmen.
Sox designated hitter David Ortiz fouled a ball off of his right foot in the fourth inning and went down in a heap in the lefty batter's box, remaining on the ground for a few moments. He remained in the game and finished the at-bat by striking out. 
Ortiz came up again in the sixth and hit a ball about 380 feet to the right field wall on a hop, but made it only as far as first base. He was removed in favor of pinch-runner Kelly Johnson.
It was later announced that Ortiz had left the game with a right foot contusion. 
The Mariners lost a star of their own in the middle of the game when Robinson Cano came out in the bottom of the third inning. During a Cespedes at-bat, the second baseman came out with what was later announced as "dizziness" and was replaced by Miller. 
The Red Sox threatened to tie the game in the bottom of the eighth inning when Johnson doubled home Brock Holt from second. Johnson later moved to third on two-out a wild pitch by reliever Tom Wilhelmsen, but he was stranded there when Allen Craig -- who went 2-for-5 with a double -- struck out looking to end the inning.
The Red Sox threatened again in the ninth when Mookie Betts, Brock Holt and Dustin Pedroia walked to load the bases with two outs, but Johnson struck out to end the inning.