MINNEAPOLIS -- This time of year, it's difficult to make a lot of trades to address needs.
Perhaps with that in mind, the Red Sox are attempting to find some internal solutions to their bullpen issues. They've converted former Pawtucket starter Alex Wilson to a relief role, effective Tuesday.
"The way I look at it is an opportunity right now," Wilson told Pawtucket radio broadcaster Aaron Goldsmith. "I talked with management and they said that's where they'd like to see me. I'm going to take the opportunity and run with it."
Wilson pitched in relief in his junior season at Texas A&M, so this is not unfamiliar territory for him.
"Outside of my first eight games which were starts," he said, "I came out of the pen and had some real good success. I'm not that far removed from it, I'll be able to remember after a game or two what to do."
If things click quickly for Wilson, it could speed his path to the big leagues, not unlike what happened to Daniel Bard in 2009.
Wilson was the Red Sox' second-round pick in 2009 and has one of the best fastballs in the system. He throws it at 94-96 mph and can occasionally reach back and get it up to 98 mph.
The last time a bunch of pictures of Pablo Sandoval made headlines, it was not a good sign for the Red Sox. The latest batch isn’t so bad.
Sandoval became the story of spring training this season when photos -- specifically a Boston Globe one of him throwing -- revealed he’d gained significant weight. The veteran third baseman was surpassed by Travis Shaw for the starting job and began the season as a bench player.
After three regular-season games, Sandoval was put on the disabled list with a shoulder strain. He was then shut down for the season in May due to shoulder surgery.
In a tweet and story posted by FC Barcelona, a smiling -- and noticeably thinner -- Sandoval could be seen attending the club’s final training session.
Sandoval, 30, is entering the third season of a five-year, $95 million contract. In his lone full season in Boston, 2015, Sandoval hit .245/.292/.366 with 10 homers and 47 RBI.
Top Red Sox prospect Yoan Moncada has left the Arizona Fall League because of a sprained left thumb he sustained in a game there last week.
Moncada will not participate in baseball activities for two weeks but the team said in a statement he is expected to be ready for spring training.
The switch-hitting Moncada, 21, had a slash line of .292/.370/.458, with a homer and three RBI, in six games for Surprise in the AFL.
The Cuban infielder, who signed with the Red Sox in February 2015, was called up in September but didn’t play after Sept. 12 following strikeouts in nine consecutive plate appearances.