Red Sox to begin managerial interviews

911407.jpg

Red Sox to begin managerial interviews

Though John Farrell remains the Red Sox' clear first choice as their next manager, there's no evidence to suggest that the team has made any headway toward securing permission to speak to him about the job from his present employers, the Toronto Blue Jays.
A baseball source Thursday said the Blue Jays had not given a sign that any progress had been made with the Sox. Another source said no discussion about the Red Sox has been held between Farrell and Blue Jays ownership.
Last fall, when the Red Sox first expressed interest in talking to Farrell about their last managerial opening, the Blue Jays said no lateral movement could take place between the clubs without compensation. Toronto eventually demanded Clay Buchholz in return, which the Red Sox summarily rejected.
Without any movement on Farrell, the Red Sox will begin interviewing other candidates for the vacancy.
Los Angeles Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach will be at Fenway Friday, to be followed early next week by former major league catcher Brad Ausmus.
Wallach has managed two seasons at Triple A before serving as manager Don Mattingly's third base coach the last two years. Wallach, ironically, is close friends with former Red Sox manager Terry Francona. The two were teammates while with the Montreal Expos and Francona had attempted to hire Wallach as his hitting coach years ago.
Ausmus has no traditional managerial experience, other than serving as the manager for Team Israel's bid to qualify for next spring's World Baseball Classic.
He fits the profile of other recently hired managers like Mike Matheny (St. Louis) and Robin Ventura (Chicago White Sox), who were were hired without any managerial experience. Ausmus is seen as highly intelligent with a firm grasp of pitching following an 18-year career as a catcher.
He has ties to New England, having grown up in Connecticut, attended Dartmouth and bought a house on Cape Cod.
It's worth noting that the Sox would have opened up the interview process whether they had secured permission to speak with Farrell or not, since Major League Baseball insists on teams speaking to multiple candidates if a hire is made outside the organization, and mandates the consideration of minority candidates.

Red Sox outfield "Win, Dance, Repeat" celebration finds its way on MLB the Show 17

red-sox-outfield-dance-092816.jpg

Red Sox outfield "Win, Dance, Repeat" celebration finds its way on MLB the Show 17

Mooke Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr. and a mix of Andrew Benintendi, Brock Holt, Blake Swihart and Chris Young brought postgame celebrations to a new level last season.

Most Sox fans are familiar with the outfield victory "Win, Dance, Repeat" where the trio would dance and pretend to photograph the game's best player between them. The celebration ended with a pose at first, but as seen the MLB the Show 17's freshly released trailer, a few more wrinkes were added in.

In fact, here's a taste of the celebrations and what else to expect from Playstation's 2017 MLB game:

Report: Red Sox DH target Beltran agrees to 1-year deal with Astros

Report: Red Sox DH target Beltran agrees to 1-year deal with Astros

Carlos Beltran, the 39-year-old switch hitter who was a potential target of the Red Sox as a DH, agreed to a free-agent deal with the Houston Astros, ESPN's Buster Olney reported.

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that it's a one-year, $16 million deal. 

Beltran played for the Astros in 2004. He was dealt from the New York Yankees to the Texas Rangers at the July 31 trading deadline last season. He totaled 35 homers, 101 RBI and hit .295 in 2016. 

The Red Sox, looking to fill the void left by David Ortiz's retirement, will be looking for a DH at the Winter Meetings that begin next week. One possibility is the return of Mike Napoli, who played for the A.L. champion Cleveland Indians last season.

More on the Winter Meetings here from CSN Red Sox Insider Sean McAdam.