Pedroia leaves game; Sox taking wait-and-see approach

728296.jpg

Pedroia leaves game; Sox taking wait-and-see approach

BOSTON Dustin Pedroia left Tuesday nights game against the Marlins at the start of the eighth inning, replaced by Nick Punto.

Well, its early for a complete update of course, manager Bobby Valentine said after the game, a 7-5 Red Sox win.

Valentine talked to Pedroia during the game but did not have time immediately after the game to get an update from the second baseman. Valentine said general manager Ben Cherington filled him in. Pedroia was not available to talk to the media after the game.

Pedroia missed six games after leaving the May 28 game against the Tigers in the fifth inning whit what was later diagnosed as a torn adductor muscle in his right thumb. He left Tuesdays game after fouling out to Marlins first baseman Gaby Sanchez for the second out in the seventh.

He was more fearful than he was injured, Valentine said. The ball was an inside pitch that pushed the bat back in his hand the way that he didn't want it to be pushed back. It was about 95 miles an hour and he thought it might be a reoccurrence. Well see how he is tomorrow.

Asked what, if any, tests Pedroia would undergo on Wednesday, Valentine replied:

Ben talked to the trainers and to Dustin during the game. So Im not sure what the procedures are from here.

Pedroia laid down a sacrifice bunt in his previous plate appearance, sending Mike Aviles, who would later score the go-ahead run, to third in the fifth.

I dont know if it was bothering him earlier in the game and thats why he bunted but it wasnt brought to my attention until right at the end, Valentine said.

After sitting out the six games, Pedroia returned to the lineup June 5. But in the 13 games since is batting just .170 (9-for-53) with three doubles, five runs scored, five RBI, five walks and 10 strikeouts. That includes going 1-for-3 with a double and a run scored along with the sacrifice bunt in Tuesdays game. Pedroias average has dropped from .295 to .269 in that span.

Report: Red Sox DH target Beltran agrees to 1-year deal with Astros

Report: Red Sox DH target Beltran agrees to 1-year deal with Astros

Carlos Beltran, the 39-year-old switch hitter who was a potential target of the Red Sox as a DH, agreed to a free-agent deal with the Houston Astros, ESPN's Buster Olney reported.

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that it's a one-year, $16 million deal. 

Beltran played for the Astros in 2004. He was dealt from the New York Yankees to the Texas Rangers at the July 31 trading deadline last season. He totaled 35 homers, 101 RBI and hit .295 in 2016. 

The Red Sox, looking to fill the void left by David Ortiz's retirement, will be looking for a DH at the Winter Meetings that begin next week. One possibility is the return of Mike Napoli, who played for the A.L. champion Cleveland Indians last season.

More on the Winter Meetings here from CSN Red Sox Insider Sean McAdam.