Ortiz won't be suspended for outburst

Ortiz won't be suspended for outburst
July 29, 2013, 3:45 pm
Share This Post
BOSTON -- Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz will not be suspended for his actions Saturday night in the dugout of Camden Yards in Baltimore.
 
Major League Baseball spokesman Michael Teevan said the incident remains under review but that a suspension has been ruled out.
 
With the Sox leading by five runs in the seventh inning, on their way to a 7-3 win, Ortiz struck out swinging for the second out of the inning -- despite taking what appeared to ball four earlier in the count. Ortiz expressed his displeasure with the call and when he was ejected took a bat to the dugout phone, sending shards of bat and phone flying.
 
It was Ortiz’s tenth career ejection, and his first since 2011.
 
Manager John Farrell said Monday afternoon he had "not heard a word from MLB" regarding Ortiz's status. 
 

Ortiz, who went 4-for-4 in the Sox series finale win on Sunday, is in the lineup Monday, batting fourth against Rays left-hander David Price for the makeup of Thursday’s rainout. Ortiz is batting .329 – second in the American League to Miguel Cabrera’s .360 -- with 20 home runs, 67 RBI, a .413 on-base percentage, and .605 slugging percentage.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.