Ortiz: No offer yet from Sox

Ortiz: No offer yet from Sox
November 3, 2011, 8:34 pm
Share This Post

David Ortiz told WEEI.com on Thursday that he was surprised the Red Sox allowed him to become a free agent, and that they've yet to make an offer to the veteran designated hitter.

"I was expecting something would happen before (the exclusive negotiating period ran out), but so many things are going on," said Ortiz. "I know everybody has priorities, and to be honest with you, I thought I was one of them."

General manager Ben Cherington said earlier in the week that he has been in talks with Ortiz's representatives, but did not expect to close a deal with Ortiz before the end of the exclusive negotiating period.

"I think we expected that 12:01 would probably arrive without them (Ortiz and Jonathan Papelbon) being signed here," said Cherington. "I dont know that it changes much. Well continue the dialogue and plan to talk to David again soon. Talked to Paps agent once earlier in the week, probably again tomorrow or the next day. Just keep in touch. I wouldnt expect any closure on any of those guys any time soon."