Ortiz (Achilles) not sure if he'll return this season

818714.jpg

Ortiz (Achilles) not sure if he'll return this season

BOSTON Sitting in the Red Sox dugout late Sunday morning, still wearing a black plastic boot on his right foot, David Ortiz said he is not sure he will be back this season.

Well see, he said. Well see how it goes. It all depends on what the doctors saying, how I'm feeling. But right now, were just focused on make sure Im doing the right thing.

Ortiz has missed 50 games with the right Achilles strain that has kept him out of all but one game since July 17. He received an injection of platelet-rich plasma PRP almost two weeks ago. While the treatment seems to be working, there is still uncertainty.

Asked if he thought the designated hitter would be shut down this season, manager Bobby Valentine replied:

I would assume that. He had the boot on again yesterday and unless David decides hes totally pain-free as of our last conversation he says he feels much better and the platelet-rich plasma shot seems to have really worked. But I think it takes a couple of weeks for that to totally set in. Maybe hell come out and start taking batting practice. Itll be time for him to get back into the lineup, obviously, if he felt a hundred percent today.

Would it be wise for Ortiz to play before then?

Well, it wouldnt be, Valentine said. If there was any jeopardy, any chance of him being injured, it wouldnt be wise at all. That conversation has been had with David . . . numerous times.

The doctors are looking forward to making sure I dont have to worry about this anymore then just give me the tryout, Ortiz said. I think thats the goal right now and we dont see the point of coming back and not being ready yet.

Ortiz is aware ending the season on the DL could affect his pending free agency.

I think, of course, whoever is going to sign you they want to make sure that you are healthy, he said. Everybody knows that. Its not a secret. But on the other hand, I think itll be fine.

It hasnt been easy for him to sit and watch.

Ive been struggling a little bit, just sitting down for this long and just watching baseball, he said. Its been not even fun watching baseball anymore. Just been sitting for this long. But it is what it is, right? And just got to wait.

While there has been improvement, Ortiz knows hes not close to 100 percent yet.

Im not there yet, he said. Im not there because when they do that PRP thing theyre kind of digging at it and theyre adding something that wasnt there. So Ive got to go back in place and start the healing process and like everybody knows, thats not easy. So Im pretty sure that after I get the boot off Im going to start getting treatment different than what Im getting right now. It all depends on how sensitive it still can be down there.

After Sunday there are just eight home games left, the final on Sept. 26 against the Rays. Would he like be back for one of them?

To be honest with you what Im looking for right now is to make sure I heal up the right way, he said. I pushed it once. It didnt work. So Im not going to push it again. If Im good to go, Im good to go.

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.