Notes: Iglesias awaits word on roster spot

Notes: Iglesias awaits word on roster spot
April 8, 2013, 7:45 pm
Share This Post

BOSTON --  With shortstop Stephen Drew making what is expected to be his last rehab outing Monday night with Double-A Portland, Jose Iglesias’ time on the major league roster may be drawing to an end. After the Red Sox 3-1 win over the Orioles in the home opener Monday afternoon, Iglesias was asked if he had been told anything by the team.

With a straight face, Iglesias replied:

“They told me I look good.”

Is that news?

“Not for me,” he said. “I know that.”

It is a good sign that Iglesias can joke about his fate.

Although he went 0-for-3 Monday – the Sox had a total of just five hits – he is batting .450, going 9-for-20 with two doubles, three RBI, and a run scored, starting six of the first seven games of the season. The Sox acquired Drew intending to start Iglesias, whose defense has never been an issue, at Triple-A Pawtucket. Drew's concussion symptoms allowed Iglesias to play every day and work on his offense and approach at the plate, and he could not have performed much better than he has offensively this season. Although it has been in a relatively small sample size, his plate approach this season and in spring training has been much more aggressive, his swings much better than they have in the past.

“Every time, I give 100 percent,” he said. “Just play hard every day. Doing my best.”

Expanding on his light-hearted quip about his future, Iglesias said:

“No, we haven’t [talked]. Nobody told me anything. I just go out, play the game and try to win.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen. That’s [general manager Ben Cherington’s] decision. That’s not my decision.  Ben, [manager] John [Farrell], and those guys. So I just prepare myself for playing every day, and help this team in any way that I can and be ready to go every day.

“I’m enjoying the game, no matter where. Obviously you want to play here. The atmosphere is fun, to be around these guys. But if I got to go, I don’t mind. I enjoy the game and I wish the best for the team.”

  • Andrew Bailey pitched a perfect eighth inning with two strikeouts. In three games, spanning 2 1/3 scoreless innings, he has given up just one hit and one walk with four strikeouts. “I think as his outings have continued to mount, the arm strength has continued to build,” said manager John Farrell. “I think the one thing we’re seeing is swing and miss to fastballs up in the strike zone, which really was his calling card when he was with Oakland, a lot of strikes. And to have really two closers in that bullpen it is a luxury.”

  • Despite giving up a lead-off home run to Adam Jones in the ninth, Joel Hanrahan earned the save, his third of the season, in his first ever appearance at Fenway Park. It is the 99th save of his career.

  • Shane Victorino went 1-for-4 and has reached base in all seven games this season.

  • Immediately after Monday’s game, the Sox said they had not received the results of John Lackey’s follow-up exam. Doctors are attempting to determine the cause of the biceps strain that forced him out of Saturday's game in Toronto.

  • David Ortiz went 2-for-4 with a single and double in his simulated game on Monday. “He ran the bases well, a strong day again for him in Fort Myers,” Farrell said.

  • The Sox have now won nine consecutive home openers since 2005, extending the longest streak in team history and the longest active streak in the majors. Since 1993, they are 17-4 in home openers.

  • First baseman Mauro Gomez was claimed off waivers on Monday by the Blue Jays. He had been designated for assignment last week to make room on the 40-man roster for Jackie Bradley Jr.