BALTIMORE - The Red Sox sent Mike Napoli back to Boston to be further examined by the team's medical staff, two days after the first baseman came out of a game here Thursday complaining of nausea and dizziness.
"While improved,'' said John Farrell, "he still has some of the grogginess and the symptoms he was feeling the other night. As a result, we've sent him back to Boston to go through an exam and try to get more information on what he's dealing with.''
The Sox have consulted with noted concussion expert Dr. Michael Collins after Napoli was struck around the face by a ball that bounced up.
"Because of what he's experiencing,'' said Farrell, "and all the conversations that have gone on with our own doctors, including Dr. Collins, there's a pretty high level of confidence that he's not dealing with anything concussion-related.''
Farrell noted that the Sox have had a virus running through their clubhouse in the last week and it's possible that Napoli is just dealing with a particularly strong strain of that.
"But we feel like because this is persisted since the other night,'' he said, "we want to make sure that he's in a safe place and we can get to the bottom of it.''
Napoli will be examined by Dr. Larry Ronan, the team's internist, who could direct Napoli to a specialist if necessary.
For the second straight game, the Sox have Mike Carp starting at first base. Daniel Nava is also equipped to play first and the Sox have had third baseman Will Middlebrooks taking grounders at first the last two days as another option.
If Napoli needs to go on the disabled list, the Sox have a number of candidates at Pawtucket whom they could recall. They include infielders Brandon Snyder and Brock Holt, along with outfielder Jackie Bradley.