The Red Sox have by and large been a disappointing bunch through the first half of the season. Lou Merloni joins Greg Dickerson on Sports Sunday to discuss which players epitomize that sense of underachievement. When names like Jon Lester and Josh Beckett come up, you can see why the team isn't faring well. Ditto for Adrian Gonzalez.
SAN JOSE, Calif. - David Bingham had his sixth shutout of the season and the San Jose Earthquakes tied New England 0-0 on Wednesday night, extending the Revolution's winless streak to five games.
Bingham, who was tied for second in MLS soccer with 12 shutouts last season, had three saves - including a stop on Diego Fagundez's shot in the 86th minute.
The Revolution haven't scored since a 3-1 victory over Chicago on Aug. 9, a stretch of more than 270 minutes.
New England (6-11-8) had beaten San Jose three straight times.
San Jose (7-7-10) has just one loss in its last seven matches.
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Quotes, notes and stars from the Red Sox' 4-3 loss to the Tampa Bay Rays:
"It's one of those freak things. You don't plan on it happening, but it's one of those things. So we'll just see what the results say and move on from there.'' - Andrew Benintendi on his knee injury.
"That's kind of a routine 3-1 play. Unfortunately, it comes at a time when you've got two outs and a guy on the move. But that's a routine play.'' - John Farrell on the deciding play in which Heath Hembree couldn't hold onto the ball at first.
"I felt good. I felt strong.I felt good out there the whole game.'' - Rick Porcello, asked how he felt going back out for the eighth inning.
"I think everybody in the ballpark knew that that ball was leaving.'' - Porcello, on the hanging curveball to Evan Longoria.
* The loss snapped a five-game winning streak against the Rays for the Red Sox.
* Three of the four Red Sox walk-off losses this season have occurred because of errors.
* The homer by Evan Longoria was his first off Rick Porcello in 40 career at-bats.
* Rick Porcello has now pitched seven innings or more in six straight starts, the longest run for a Red Sox starter since John Lackey did it in 2013.
* David Ortiz is now the oldest player to ever hit 30 homers in a season
* Ortiz has now reached the 30-homer, 100-RBI level 10 times with the Red Sox, including the last four years in a row.
* The loss was the first of Heath Hembree's career, in his 67th major league appearance.
* Dustin Pedroia tied a career high with two stolen bases, the 12th time he's swiped two bases in the same game.
1) Evan Longoria
The Rays were down to their final five outs when Longoria struck, hitting a game-tying homer off Rick Porcello.
2) Brad Miller
Miller's two-run double in the third enabled the Rays to stay close until Longoria's homer tied things up five innings later.
3) Rick Porcello
Porcello gave the Sox length and was brilliant in getting out of some early jams before settling in through the middle innings.
Liz Gonzales is joining CSN after working with the Jets, and gives her perspective of the New York Jets as an organization and how Jets fans view the New England Patriots.