On Meeting with the Media

785660.jpg

On Meeting with the Media

Josh Beckett delivered another stellar performance last night. Despite the loss, he went eight innings against the Orioles, giving up only five hits, two runs and striking out five, while not walking a single bird.

It marks the fifth straight start in which Beckett has gone at least seven innings.

But a lot of the talk after the game was about not talking. The fact that Beckett skipped out of the clubhouse before speaking with the media. Here's my take on that:

Obviously, in a perfect world, Josh Beckett speaks to media after every start. After all, there's generally no more important character in any game than the starting pitcher, and in a night where Beckett went eight innings, you figure his voice is pretty essential in telling the story.

Then again, who cares?

Listen, it's one thing if Beckett sucked. Sure, he was the pitcher of record, but his performance was amazing. It's not like this is LeBron or Wade bailing on the podium after back-to-back losses in the Eastern Conference Finals losses that were due in large part to their failure to step up when the game was on the line. No, Beckett was great. He had nothing to answer for. And as it is, I assume he's pretty frustrated about the fact that his teammates have now scored a combined seven runs in his last three starts. Maybe he was better just sneaking out the door, letting off some steam and not having to worry about watching what he says or who he says it to.

More than anything, I can't believe I'm defending Josh Beckett.

But I am. That's what happens when you pitch like he has been recently. Nothing else matters, and hopefully it can stay that way.

Rich can be reached at rlevine@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Rich on Twitter at http:twitter.comrich_levine

Neumeier: Red Sox still not viable championship contender

trennisoxsnc5021462230331538_3450k_1280x720_678100035598.jpg

Neumeier: Red Sox still not viable championship contender

Bob Neumeier is glad to see Red Sox fans optimistic about their sweep of the New York Yankees, but explains why he still thinks it is unlikely they could win a championship this year

Sandoval to undergo surgery on left shoulder

red_sox_pablo_sandoval_022416.jpg

Sandoval to undergo surgery on left shoulder

Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval will undergo surgery on his left shoulder in the coming days, a procedure that will sideline him for an extended period and could spell the end of his 2016 season.

Sandoval was placed on the DL last month with soreness in his left shoulder. He received a diagnosis from the Red Sox medical staff, but requested a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews, one of the country's prominent orthopedic surgeons.

Sandoval visited Andrews less than two weeks ago, but the soreness and inflammation in the shoulder joint was so severe that Andrews couldn't complete the examination. The exam was then rescheduled until Monday.

The Red Sox did not announce the specific nature of the procedure, but in a release, said they would do so after the surgery is performed by Andrews later this week.

It's been widely speculated that Sandoval is dealing with an injury to either the labrum or rotator cuff. Last month, when Sandoval was initially put on the disabled list, Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski said only that there was "a great deal going on'' in Sandoval's shoulder. Citing HIPA laws, Dombrowski said he couldn't reveal specifics.

It's been an eventful and unhappy season for Sandoval to date. In spring training, he was beaten out for the starting third baseman's job by Travis Shaw, who performed better in the field and at the plate throughout March.

Sandoval had only six hitless at-bats when he was placed on the DL on April 13, retroactive to April 11. On the morning of April 11, Sandoval reported to Fenway Park and told the training staff he had limited range of movement in the shoulder. Sandoval couldn't identify a particular play or event that may have first caused the injury.