Matsuzaka strong in return as Sox beat Royals, 5-1


Matsuzaka strong in return as Sox beat Royals, 5-1

BOSTON The Red Sox wrapped up their seven-game homestand with a 5-1 win over the Royals as Daisuke Matsuzaka earned his first win of the season.

Returning from the disabled list, Matsuzaka made his first start since June 2, going seven innings, giving up one unearned run on five hits and two walks with six strikeouts and a wild pitch. He threw 101 pitches (71 strikes) as he lowered his ERA from 6.65 to 5.10.
It was just his sixth start of the season after beginning the season on the DL recovering from Tommy John surgery in June 2011 and battling assorted ailments this season.

Early on it appeared Matsuzaka might be in for a struggle as he walked Royals lead-off batter Jarrod Tyson to open the game. Tyson then stole second, went to third on Dustin Pedroias error on the throw from Jarrod Saltalamacchia, and then scored on Alex Gordons sacrifice fly.

But that was all the Royals would get.

Cody Ross went 2-for-4 with three RBI and a run scored, while Jacoby Ellsbury hit his second home run of the season, a solo shot in the first inning.

Andrew Bailey earned his second save with a scoreless ninth.

The Sox finished the homestand with a record of 3-4.

Four killed in crash involving Dallas Cowboys' bus


Four killed in crash involving Dallas Cowboys' bus

PHOENIX (AP) -- A bus carrying Dallas Cowboys staffers but no players and a van collided Sunday on an Arizona highway, killing four people in the van, authorities said.

The bus occupants emerged uninjured from the crash, Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman Quentin Mehr said.

"All on the bus came through OK with some bumps and bruises," Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple said in an email.

Dalrymple said the bus was only carrying members of the franchise's staff but would not say how many. There were no players on board.

Mickey Spagnola, a columnist for the team's website, has been writing for the past week about traveling on a Cowboys bus with a driver, the team mascot and videographer. On his Twitter page, Spagnola tweeted before 2 p.m. that the bus was 80 miles outside of Vegas.

The two vehicles collided in the afternoon on U.S. 93, about 30 miles north of the city of Kingman or 180 miles northeast of Phoenix, according to DPS.

The crash shut down at least one lane of the highway that serves as the main route between Las Vegas and Phoenix.

The bus was on its way to a Dallas Cowboys fan event in Las Vegas. Charles Cooper, manager of GameWorks entertainment center in Vegas, said the session with 50 to 75 fans was scheduled for 3 p.m. PDT. People were already waiting when the president of a Las Vegas Cowboys fan club called to relay news of the accident. The event was subsequently canceled. Cooper says the team mascot was supposed to appear.

After the Las Vegas stop, the bus was scheduled to go on to Oxnard, California for the team's training camp. Members of the organization typically take a bus two weeks before the camp starts and make stops along the way.