Marrero: 'I get to start my dream'

797778.jpg

Marrero: 'I get to start my dream'

BOSTON -- Deven Marrero will report to Single-A Lowell on Thursday. But first, he made a stop into Fenway Park before Boston's game against the Miami Marlins on Wednesday.
Marrero was drafted 24th overall by the Red Sox in this year's draft, and the shortstop from Arizona State signed with the organization earlier this week.
He showed up at Fenway, tossed on the red jersey, white pants, and navy blue Boston cap, and took batting practice and ground balls with the likes of Mike Aviles and Dustin Pedroia.
Being able to turn two with Pedroia -- even if it is in a practice setting -- was a special moment for Marrero. Both are now former Sun Devils. He even refers to Pedroia as a "legend." And as of Wednesday, Marrero will begin his journey to one day turn two with Pedroia in an actual game at Fenway Park.
"That guy's the best at what he does, and he does it the right way," said Marrero on Wednesday. "And for him to be at Arizona State, and for me to be at Arizona State, that's something that I would like to do. That's a dream come true right there, to play aside that guy up the middle, and to turn two with that guy. He's a great ballplayer, and that's someone that I want to be like, definitely."
Marrero said he hit a few balls into the monster seats during batting practice. But right now, he still considers himself a "gap-to-gap" hitter.
"My job is to get on base, steal some bags, and have fun with it," he said.
Marrero certainly had fun in his Fenway experience on Wednesday. But it wasn't his first. He took batting practice at Fenway last summer with Team USA.
This time though, he got to do it with the Boston Red Sox. And he's ready to begin his journey to getting back with them again.
"I'm just glad that I'm getting my career started," said Marrero. "Hopefully you see me up here soon to help this ball club win. That's my goal.
"It hit me when I signed that dotted line. It hit me then that it was official. And then in the locker room, seeing all the guys. And then walking out here and doing all this stuff. This is real now. I get to start my dream. And I can't wait."

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.