Injury notes: Youkilis set to return; Matsuzaka suffers setback

746438.jpg

Injury notes: Youkilis set to return; Matsuzaka suffers setback

PHILADELPHIA -- Two Red Sox players with injuries are getting ready to return to action, but a third had a setback and is going to be a while longer.

An update:

Kevin Youkilis - Youkilis (back) will continue his rehab stint with Pawtucket tomorrow, having played four games with them already, including the last three at third base.

The expectation is that Youkilis will then rejoin the Red Sox Tuesday in Baltimore.

"If he feels good after (Monday's) game, I don't see any reason why not," said Bobby Valentine. "But it's on him. If he wants another couple of at-bats or if he needs anything . . ."

Ryan Sweeney - Sweeney, who made a game-saving catch in the seventh inning of Saturday's win, may have suffered a slight concussion in making the catch, as his head hit the warning track, snapping his neck back in the process.

He was held out of Sunday's game, and underwent mandatory testing both Saturday night and again Sunday.

"I'll be alright," said Sweneey. "I think they just wanted me to (be sure). I kind of had some symptoms (Saturday) night. I re-took another concussion test after the game, and it was better than it was."

His neck is still sore, but not something that should get in the way of returning to the lineup.

"Yeah, it's better now," said Sweeney. "I'm just a little sore.

I'll probably have to come in and make sure I can do everything (Monday)."

MLB has a seven-day disabled list for players with concussions, but neither Sweeney nor Sox believe that will be necessary.

Daisuke Matsuzaka - Matsuzaka, who was due to make his next scheduled rehab start Tuesday for Pawtucket, instead has been scratched from that outing after receiving an injection in his right trapezius (upper back) muscle.

"We've got to make sure he's 100 percent," said Valentine.

Matsuzaka's 30-day rehab window was supposed to be up this week, but the Red Sox will likely seek permission for him to go on a seven-day DL while the back improves, then begin a new rehab window.

Such requests must be approved by the commissioner's office.

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.