BOSTON -- The diving catch stood out to Jason Heyward.
He made some plays that would qualify as web gems out in center field, for sure, the Atlanta Braves right fielder recalled.
Before Heyward and Boston Red Sox center fielder Ryan Kalish faced off at Fenway Park on Saturday, they battled as minor leaguers in 2008.
Heyward was an 18 year old on the Rome Braves, Kalish was 20 and playing for the Greenville Drive. Both were highly touted prospects. Heyward quickly recognized Kalishs potential.
He played the game really hard, Heyward said. He was a tough out at the plate and he played great defense... There were some plays where he dove and caught balls on the warning track, throwing runners out. I actually remember throwing him out but he tried to catch it, so he just has that aggressive mindset. Hes a fun guy to watch play baseball.
Heyward is in his third season with the Braves while Kalish is in his second with the Red Sox after missing last year with an injury. Heyward wasnt surprised to see Kalish this season at Fenway Park.
You could tell, if he wanted to, he could make it, he said. Its all a process for all of us at that time. We take it as far as we want to take it. You could tell, if he wanted to keep going, he could. And clearly he has.
Never say never?
While Red Sox officials said at the team's annual Winter Weekend at Foxwoods on Saturday that they'd be traveling to the Dominican Republic to talk to David Ortiz about a role with the team, Pedro Martinez told WEEI he sees Big Papi returning to his old role - designated hitter - this season.
CSN's Trenni Kusnierek and WEEI's John Tomase talked to Martinez on their show Saturday at Foxwoods and Martinez said his old teammate would be making a comeback despite the long, emotional farewell tour last season.
For the full interview with Martinez, click here.
Red Sox executives Tom Werner, Sam Kennedy and Dave Dombrowski made no mention of Ortiz returning as a player when talking about their Dominican trip. Ortiz has repeatedly said he is going to stay retired.
MASHANTUCKET, Conn. -- While there’s a deal of anticipation going into Spring training with the four Killer B’s, David Price and Pablo Sandoval’s shot at redemption and Rick Porcello looking to be something similar to his 2016 self, there’s one name that trumps them all.
The lankly lefty received an ovation from fans at the Friday night Town Hall, kicking off Red Sox Winter Weekend. With his consistent success, there’s reason to be excited.
But there’s also reason for apprehension given the way Sale’s departure from Chicago was depicted. But he’s made sure to clear the air.
“I wouldn’t say . . . ya know . . . I loved my time in Chicago,” Sale said when asked if it was time to leave the Windy City. “My best baseball memories are there [and] will be there forever. I love the city; I love the people in the organization.
“It was time for both sides to do something different, I guess. I talked to (White Sox Senior V.P.) Rick on the phone, I talked to (White Sox pitching coach Don) Coop (Cooper). We’re all cool, it’s fine. We understand where both of us are, it happens in baseball, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Chicago.”
He didn’t seem irritated discussing the issue, and certainly wasn’t timid -- we all know that’s not in his DNA.
He genuinely seems excited to deal with the large sum of Sox fans and to call a new place home -- in a city his wife’s fond of no less.
But ultimately, he’s focused on winning, nothing else.
“Every time I’m out there it’s gonna be all I got,” Sale said. "Every time, no matter what. Can promise you that.”