Gonzalez back in right field for Red Sox

773964.jpg

Gonzalez back in right field for Red Sox

BOSTON -- Adrian Gonzalez is back in right field and hitting fifth for the Red Sox on Sunday against the Tampa Bay Rays at Fenway Park.

In his first Fenway park right-field assignment on Saturday night, Adrian Gonzalez was pinch run for in the sixth inning, but it wasn't just because of his speed on the base paths. It was mostly because Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine could foresee a one-run game, and he didn't feel comfortable with Gonzalez in right field, even if it meant taking his bat out of the lineup.

Valentine put Gonzalez back in right field on Sunday, and before the game, called the situation "unique" but also described it as "kind of fun."

"I watch him on every ball that goes up," said Valentine. "I watch him every ball that's hit. And he's looking OK. I don't know every ball, but a lot of balls that are hit, I glance. And it seems like he has the right first step. He's moving."

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.