BOSTON – An early morning call at Fenway Park this morning for the Patriots’ Day special and the finale of the homestand. A few notes to start the morning:
- John Lackey (right biceps) will begin a throwing program on Tuesday. Manager John Farrell said any symptoms affecting Lackey’s range of motion are gone.
- Jackie Bradley, Jr., is back in the lineup, batting ninth, playing left field. Although he is hitting just .107, manager John Farrell said Bradley has been handling the adversity. “I think as well as can be expected,” Farrell said. “He’s also human and there can be some frustration involved. Maybe some of the at-bats that he’s gone through over the past week. We knew those challenges were likely to emerge if we didn’t feel like he had the capacity to respond or handle those in a stable way, we wouldn’t have maybe taken the gamble to bring him with us north. So I can’t say that anything he’s gone through, or his reaction, has been different than we anticipated.”
- Knuckleballer Steven Wright was scratched from his scheduled start Sunday in Pawtucket as a precaution in case the Red Sox needed reinforcement with Joel Hanrahan’s hamstring ailment. “If we had a short start and we need to add some length to the bullpen, that was the reason for it,” Farrell said.
- The Sox have not put Hanrahan on the disabled list. He last pitched on Saturday. They would like Hanrahan to have two days of down time and then reevaluate him.
- Daniel Nava is not in the starting lineup today. It’s just a day off for him, Farrell said.
- David Ortiz was scratched from his rehab game on Sunday because he was not feeling well. He is expected to play Monday night.
- Dustin Pedroia has reached base safely in all 11 games this season, and 21 straight going back to Sept. 21, 2012. “Consistent with who Dustin is,” Farrell said. “He never gives an at-bat away. He might be scuffling a little bit at the plate but he still finds a way to get on base, steal a base as it was two days ago. Yesterday was probably the best day at the plate that he’s had to date.”