Deadline bonanza

758020.jpg

Deadline bonanza

If I've said it once, I've said it 5,000 times, the Red Sox weren't going to win a thing until they rid themselves of Matt Albers.

And thankfully, that's exactly what they did today.

By sending Albers to Arizona, the Sox eliminated one of their greatest on-field underachievers, and one of the leaders of last year's clubhouse mutiny. As a result, we can finally start the healing process. We can finally turn the page on this nightmarish year and fall back in love with the Red Sox.

Can I get an amen?

OK, fine. I'll stop. That joke was depressing anyway.

No offense to Albers, Craig Breslow, Scott Posednik and Lars Anderson, but in reality the Sox did nothing today. They did nothing to change the outcome of this season; nothing to alter the course of this franchise.

Did they try?

Maybe they did, but couldn't find a deal. Or maybe they truly believe that this team is determined enough and will be healthy enough to contend for a World Series. Or maybe we're all taking crazy pills.

Regardless of the answer, the craziness isn't going anywhere. And if Josh Beckett falls on his face tonight at Fenway, the craziness will reach levels typically reserved for mental patients and serial killers. By failing for a second time to unload Beckett's stench from the mound and clubhouse, the Sox are saying that they believe he still gives them the best chance to win. Tonight, Beckett can prove it, and against one of the best pitchers in baseball.

Nothing would say, "I'm still here, and I'm ready to play" like earning a win over Justin Verlander in the Tigers.

On the other side, nothing says, "Here we go again" like another subpar performance.

Especially since this time around, Matt Albers won't be there to bail Beckett and the Sox out.

Rich can be reached at rlevine@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Rich on Twitter at http:twitter.comrich_levine

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.  

Report: Bradley Jr. avoids arbitration, agrees to 1-year, $3.6M deal with Red Sox

Report: Bradley Jr. avoids arbitration, agrees to 1-year, $3.6M deal with Red Sox

Red Sox center fielder Jackie Bradley avoided arbitration and agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with the team, ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick reported.

Bradley, who turns 27 April 19, had his best season in 2016, hitting .267 with 26 homers and a league-best 29-game hitting streak. He also won his first Gold Glove. A Scott Boras client, Bradley isn’t eligible for free agency until 2020. 
 
Friday at 1 p.m. was the deadline to reach deals to avoid arbitration. 

Other arbitration-eligible Red Sox are infielders Xander Bogaerts and Brock Holt, left-handers Drew Pomeranz and Fernando Abad, right-handers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross and Tyler Thornburg and catcher Sandy Leon.