Ciriaco hopes to continue to prove his worth

879711.jpg

Ciriaco hopes to continue to prove his worth

FORT MYERS, Fla. Pedro Ciriaco was one of the very few bright lights on a very dim Red Soxscape last season. A virtual unknown, Ciriaco wasted little time last spring making a name for himself. A two-run, walk-off home run in extra innings early in camp set the tone for his spring.

After being called up on July 7 from Triple-A Pawtucket, Ciriaco went on to hit .293 with 16 stolen bases, seventh in the American League, in 76 games for the Sox while playing six positions 35 games at third base, 16 at second, 12 at shorts, three in center field, two in left, and two in right, while serving as the designated hitter in 10.

Ciriaco, 27, who joined the Sox as a minor league free agent in December 2011, set career highs last season in almost every category. After all, he had appeared in a total of just 31 games with the Pirates in 2010-11.

It was pretty good for me, to be able to play a little bit more, he said. Have more chances to prove myself and prove to everybody else I can play in the high level, it was really important to me.

Still, it was important to him that he proved he could do it.

I always know I have the ability to play, he said. I just wanted to prove I could do it and be a little more consistent. So its much better.

This season, Ciriaco will be in much the same role, playing both infield and outfield. But, he knows he still has to prove himself.

Im just fighting for my spot, he said. I dont want to take anything for granted. Just have to be better every day.

Ciriaco played winter ball this offseason, playing for Toros del Este of the Dominican League. He went appeared in just nine games, batting just .192. He had hoped to play more, but a shoulder injury cut his time short. His shoulder is fully healed now, he said, ready for a full season.

But he wouldnt mind having another spring like last year.

I hope so, he said with a smile. I work hard in the offseason to be better this year.

Red Sox activate reliever Carson Smith off disbled list

red-sox-carson-smith-032116.jpg

Red Sox activate reliever Carson Smith off disbled list

The Red Sox get a much needed boost to their bullpen as they begin their road trip through Chicago and New York. They have activated right-handed pitcher Carson Smith off the disabled list.

Smith was placed on the 15-day DL on April 3 (retroactive to March 25) with a right flexor strain suffered in spring training. He made two rehab appearances with the Portland Sea Dogs, retiring all five batters over 1.2 innings of work, striking out two in the process.

This is Smith’s first season with the Red Sox after being acquired in a traded with the Seattle Mariners in December.

In 79 major league games from 2014-15, the right-hander went 3-5 with 13 saves, a 2.07 ERA (18 ER), and 102 strikeouts in 78.1 innings pitched (11.7 SO/9.0 IP). Smith set Mariners reliever records for the most scoreless appearances (20) and most scoreless innings (19.1) to begin a major league career.

To make room on the 25-man roster, infielder Marco Hernandez was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket following Sunday night’s game against the New York Yankees.

Tuesday’s lineups: Red Sox vs. White Sox

red-sox.jpg

Tuesday’s lineups: Red Sox vs. White Sox

Right-handed hitting Chris Young gets the start in left field against left-hander Jose Quintana (3-1, 1.47 ERA) and Ryan Hanigan catchers knuckleballer Steven Wright (2-2, 1.37) as the Red Sox open a three-game series against the White Sox tonight in Chicago. 

The White Sox have the best record in the American League at 18-8. The Red Sox (15-10) have moved into first-place in the A.L. East after a three-game sweep of the Yankees.

The full lineups:

RED SOX
Mookie Betts RF
Dustin Pedroia 2B
Xander Bogaerts SS
David Ortiz DH
Hanley Ramirez 1B
Travis Shaw 3B
Chris Young LF
Ryan Hanigan C
Jackie Bradley Jr. CF

Steven Wright RHP

WHITE SOX
Adam Eaton RF
Jimmy Rollins SS
Jose Abreau 1B
Todd Frazier 3B
Melky Cabrera LF
Brett Lawrie 2B
Jerry Sands DH
Dioner Navarro C
Austin Jackson CF

Jose Quintana

Sandoval surgery ‘complicated’ and he'll miss rest of season

sandycontract5021462243469695_3450k_1280x720_678217283788.jpg

Sandoval surgery ‘complicated’ and he'll miss rest of season

As expected. the left shoulder surgery that Red Sox third baseman Pablo Sandoval had Tuesday will keep him out for the rest of the season and Yahoo Sports’ Jeff Passan reports it was “complicated.” 


 

Here's the official announcement from the Red Sox:

The Boston Red Sox announced that third baseman Pablo Sandoval underwent successful surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder today. Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery this morning in Pensacola, FL.

Sandoval is expected to miss the remainder of the 2016 season, and it is anticipated that he will make a full recovery in advance of the 2017 season.

It remains to be seen if we’ve seen the last of Sandoval in a Red Sox uniform, but even after his recovery, as he collects a $17 million salary for this season, there’s still the matter of the final three years of his deal (2017, 2018, 2019) with $54.6 million remaining. Could be hard to find takers for that.