Ciriaco gets the call

811210.jpg

Ciriaco gets the call

BOSTON With Dustin Pedroia going on the disabled list with a thumb injury, the Red Sox called up infielder Pedro Ciriaco from Triple-A Pawtucket before Fridays game against the Yankees.

Ciriaco, who was originally signed as an amateur free agent by the Diamondbacks in 2003,
games eight in 2010, and 23 last seasons with the Pirates. In all, he appeared in eight major league games at short, two at third, and two in left field.

Ciriaco, who turns 27 in September, has appeared in 37 games at shortstop, 23 at second base, and three at third for the PawSox this season. He was hitting .301 with four home runs, 21 RBI, a .318 on-base percentage, and .406 slugging percentage in 64 games for Pawtucket this season.

Manager Bobby Valentine said Ciriaco would start one of the games of Saturdays doubleheader against the Yankees. Which game and which position is unknown.

Ciriaco said he is comfortable at all three positions, but shortstop is most natural to him.

I grew up playing shortstop so I feel more comfortable at short, he said. But the last couple of years Ive been paying second and third a little bit. so I just try to just do my job, whatever I can.

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.