Cherington: 'We're all responsible'

905545.jpg

Cherington: 'We're all responsible'

BOSTON -- With the disastrous season of 2012 now in the record books and one casualty to go along with it in the form of now-former manager Bobby Valentine the Red Sox must begin to look at other areas that can be improved.Red Sox presidentCEO Larry Lucchino and general manager Ben Cherington met with reporters Thursday afternoon and evening in a series of small interviews.Cherington, the first-year general manager, was asked to assess the job he did this season.Not good enough, he said. This season has not gone well by any measure and were all responsible. But Im head of baseball operations and were responsible to bring the roster together. And when you win as few games as we did theres obviously flaws. So, we look back critically at decisions weve made going back including last offseason and started to identify ways that we can, I think, make better decisions moving forward and weve had a lot of frank discussion about that, within baseball ops and also with ownership. So disappointing but fully committed to making it better and confident we will.We have enormous confidence in Ben and the player development, player operations department, Lucchino said. But we also feel that there are things we can do given the performance of this year to make it even better going forward. Were going fill some holes that we have. Bens taken some steps already -- the hiring of Jason Varitek as a special assistant to Cherington, the hiring of Eddie Bane as a special assistant to player personnel. Focusing a little bit more either on experienced players and their observations or experienced scouting evaluators and their observations. I think it will make us an even better baseball operation, baseball organization.Cherington will start the process of interviewing for a new manager on Friday, with Varitek assisting in the search. Asked the status of the coaches, Cherington replied:I havent had a chance to reach out to all of them yet. So I dont have anything to report there. But I will do so soon.In addition to a new manager, the Sox will have other roster needs to fill this offseason. Asked what other issues will be among his top priorities, Cherington replied:I didnt want this to be a referendum on the season. Im sure well have more of a chance to talk about that. But I think its clear there are areas we need to improve on, some of them Ive already talked about. But well get going right away on the search process for the manager and vetting candidates.

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.