Cherington provides updates on Ellsbury, Crawford, Youkilis

732508.jpg

Cherington provides updates on Ellsbury, Crawford, Youkilis

BALTIMORE -- In addition to reacting to the latest injury news regarding outfielder Cody Ross, general manager Ben Cherington offered some updates on other issues.

Among them:

Jacoby Ellsbury.

"I don't have an update (on a return date)," said Cherington. "He's doing well. His range of motion has really come back - not all the way, but he's almost there. So he's doing well with that.

"He's started strengthening. He feels good. I'd say rough time frame, early July. But there's no specific calendar put on him."

Cherington said he was unsure how soon Ellsbury might be able to resume baseball activities.

"We're not sure yet," he said. "He's got to get all the range of motion back. He's got to strengthen and once that happens, he'll start to that ramp up. He's doing well. He's making good progress."

Carl Crawford

"Nothing's changed on that," said Cherington. "We're still looking at, hopefully, early- to mid-July time-frame. He's also doing well, progressing, but hasn't started swinging yet. Hopefully that'll come soon, but we're not there yet."

Kevin Youkilis

Youkilis is expected to join the team Tuesday and be activated. Cherington was asked what the plans were for him.

"We have to kind of listen to him and see how he responds," said Cherington. "We'll see how he responds. He's obviously been an everyday player through his career. Bobby (Valentine) will be careful, I'm sure, and if giving him a day here and there helps him, then that's something we can do.

"I'm confident he'll can be an everyday player and will be an everyday player. Whether it makes sense to run him right out there seven days a week . . . that's another question."

Red Sox trade Shaw, prospects for reliever Thornburg

Red Sox trade Shaw, prospects for reliever Thornburg

NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. -- The Red Sox got the bullpen help they were seeking Tuesday, but it came at a steep price.
     
The Sox obtained righthanded reliever Tyler Thornburg from the Milwaukee Brewers, but it cost them infielder Travis Shaw, highly regarded shortstop prospect Mauricio Dubon and pitching prospect Josh Pennington, according to an industry source.

In Thornburg, 28, the Red Sox get a hard-throwing reliever whom they control for the next three seasons. He became the Brewers' closer after the trade deadline last year and recorded 13 saves while posting a 2.15 ERA and avergaing 12.1 strikeouts per nine innings.
    
He will serve as the Red Sox' primary set-up option to get to closer Craig Kimbrel.
     
One potential issue for Thornburg is that he's dealt with some elbow issues in the recent past. As recently as 2014, it was thought that he might require Tommy John surgery, but he instead underwent PRP (platelt rich plasma) treatment and has remained healthy.

Given that the last set-up reliever obtained by Dombrowski, Carson Smith, underwent Tommy John surgery last season, Thornburg's injury history raises a caution flag.

In dealing Shaw, the Red Sox are now expecting Pablo Sandoval to be their primary third baseman -- at least in the near term.

Sandoval missed all but a few games in 2016 with a shoulder injury and his conditioning has been an issue since signing with the Red Sox two years ago.

The Red Sox have Brock Holt to help out at third in 2017, with both Yoan Moncada and Rafael Devers waiting in the wings.

Dubon is the second top prospect to be dealt by Dombrowski in the last 13 months. He included Javier Guerra in a package with three other prospects to obtain Kimbrel in November of 2015.

Dubon posted a .912 OPS in half a season at Portland last year and recently played in the Arizona Fall League. He has limited power, but strong athleticism and makes good contact.

Pennington is 20, a hard-throwing (94-98 mph) righthander who could profile either as a late-inning weapon or a starter. He's years away from the big leagues and has already undergone Tommy John surgery.

The Boston Herald was the first to report that the teams had made a trade. Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com was the first to report the details.

New photo surfaces of noticeably thinner Pablo Sandoval

New photo surfaces of noticeably thinner Pablo Sandoval

When it comes to Pablo Sandoval and his weight, a picture is worth a thousand words.

During spring training it wasn’t a good thing. Sandoval made headlines when a number of photos revealed significant weight gain for the Red Sox third baseman.

But the last two images have been more positive for Sandoval.

In October, a noticeably thinner Sandoval was photographed at an FC Barcelona game.

On Monday, Dan Roche of WBZ tweeted a more recent picture of the new-look Sandoval.

Sandoval, 30, is entering the third season of a five-year, $95 million contract. In his lone full season in Boston, 2015, Sandoval hit .245/.292/.366 with 10 homers and 47 RBI.