Buchholz likely won't start Sunday

Buchholz likely won't start Sunday
June 12, 2013, 6:45 pm
Share This Post
(AP Photo)

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The Red Sox haven't categorically ruled out Clay Buchholz starting Sunday in Baltimore, but it sounds
as if holding him back until the Sox host a doubleheader Tuesday is a far more likely scenario.
     
Manager John Farrell said Buchholz, who experienced some stiffness in his neck in his last Saturday, felt some residual stiffness as he
threw Wednesday after taking two days off.
     
"He threw the ball OK,'' said Farrell. "I think he felt a little stiffness, but was improved over the last itme he had a ball in his
hand. We've got to factor in what takes place [Wednesday and Thursday] for preparing for the rotation in Baltimore.
    
 "We have options, obviously. We can bring Jon [Lester] back on Sunday and push Clay to Tuesday [the Sox are off Monday]. Certainly if
there's not marked improved by [Thursday], we may do just that...The fact that he's still feeling some stiffness, we've got to factor that
in. [Waiting until Tuesday] would only be two additional days than his normal rest. Much like the approach we took the last time, we'll go when he's ready.''
     
Farrell hinted that the Sox will make a decision on Sunday by no later than early afternoon Thursday.
     
Buchholz went through a similar period of uncertainty last month when some soreness in the AC joint of his collarbone caused him to miss
a start. Then, when he didn't respond quite as quickly as anticipated, the Sox pushed him back two more days.
     
Buchholz is enjoying his best start to a season ever. He's 9-0 with a 1.71 ERA.