Buchholz on 15-day DL with 'gastrointestinal situation'

797152.jpg

Buchholz on 15-day DL with 'gastrointestinal situation'

BOSTON The Red Sox placed pitcher Clay Buchholz on the 15-day disabled list with what manager Bobby Valentine called a gastrointestinal situation.

Valentine said Buchholz was healthy in his last start, a win Tuesday against the Marlins, and the day after, "and then he started feeling something."

"I havent gotten a lot of information exactly about how it happened, whatever happened," Valentine said. "We may have more later."

Valentine said he was hopeful of getting Buchholz back after 15 days.

Buchholz will likely be placed on the DL retroactive to June 20, which would make him eligible to be activated on July 5, an off-day. The Red Sox host the Yankees for a four-game series beginning July 6, including a July 7 doubleheader.

Aaron Cook will take Buchholzs scheduled start in Sundays series finale against the Braves. Cook had been on the 15-day disabled list since May 6 with a left knee laceration. He suffered the injury when he was spiked covering home plate on a passed ball in the second inning of the May 5 game against the Orioles. He stayed in the game but lasted just 2 23 innings, giving up seven runs (six earned) on eight hits and walk, taking the loss. It was his only major league start this season.

In one rehab start since then, Cook pitched four innings Monday in Syracuse for Triple-A Pawtucket, giving up three runs on seven hits and a walk with three strikeouts. He was scheduled to start Saturday but was pulled before the game because of Buchholzs status.

What can the Sox expect from Cook today?

After 66 pitches in his last game we probably could build on that but I dont think we could double it, Valentine said.

Red Sox outfield "Win, Dance, Repeat" celebration finds its way on MLB the Show 17

red-sox-outfield-dance-092816.jpg

Red Sox outfield "Win, Dance, Repeat" celebration finds its way on MLB the Show 17

Mooke Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr. and a mix of Andrew Benintendi, Brock Holt, Blake Swihart and Chris Young brought postgame celebrations to a new level last season.

Most Sox fans are familiar with the outfield victory "Win, Dance, Repeat" where the trio would dance and pretend to photograph the game's best player between them. The celebration ended with a pose at first, but as seen the MLB the Show 17's freshly released trailer, a few more wrinkes were added in.

In fact, here's a taste of the celebrations and what else to expect from Playstation's 2017 MLB game:

Report: Red Sox DH target Beltran agrees to 1-year deal with Astros

Report: Red Sox DH target Beltran agrees to 1-year deal with Astros

Carlos Beltran, the 39-year-old switch hitter who was a potential target of the Red Sox as a DH, agreed to a free-agent deal with the Houston Astros, ESPN's Buster Olney reported.

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that it's a one-year, $16 million deal. 

Beltran played for the Astros in 2004. He was dealt from the New York Yankees to the Texas Rangers at the July 31 trading deadline last season. He totaled 35 homers, 101 RBI and hit .295 in 2016. 

The Red Sox, looking to fill the void left by David Ortiz's retirement, will be looking for a DH at the Winter Meetings that begin next week. One possibility is the return of Mike Napoli, who played for the A.L. champion Cleveland Indians last season.

More on the Winter Meetings here from CSN Red Sox Insider Sean McAdam.