Bogaerts to take grounders at third before WBC

983249.jpg

Bogaerts to take grounders at third before WBC

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Red Sox top prospect shortstop Xander Bogaerts, a native of Aruba, is planning to play in the World Baseball Classic for the Netherlands. But with several other highly-regarded shortstops also on the Netherlands roster, including the Texas Jurickson Profar and Atlantas Andrelton Simmons, who both made their major league debuts last season, Bogaerts will be moved from his regular position.

Hell compete to play third base with the Netherlands, said Sox manager John Farrell. If not, hell get his at-bats DHing.

In his three professional seasons since joining the Sox as an international free agent in 2009 Bogaerts has played no position other than shortstop. To prepare for the WBC, he will work out at third base with the Sox before leaving to join his Netherlands teammates on March 1.

We dont want to send him in cold where hes been primarily a shortstop, said Farrell. Theres going to be different angles to ground balls that he'll be exposed to and well be sure that we get some work days leading up to that.

Bogaerts, who turned 20 in October and was added to the Red Sox 40-man roster in November, is in his first big league camp.

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

red_sox_david_ortiz_100716.jpg

Ortiz quells comeback speculation: 'My playing time has expired'

Forget that cryptic Tweet to the Globe. David Ortiz isn't walking through that door, fans. At least not as a player.

"My playing time has already expired," Ortiz told ESPN Deportes. "Baseball is not something that you wake up today and you say, 'I'll play tomorrow.' Baseball is something that carries a lot of sacrifice, a lot of preparation, and there is a reason why we train the entire year to play it, practice every day, especially during the season, because it is a sport of consistency."

No one really thought he was contemplating a comeback, but last week he Tweeted this . . .

. . . and that raised hopes that he'd changed his mind.

Not so.

 

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Red Sox avoid arbitration with Bogaerts, Holt with 1-year deals

Facing a 1 p.m. Friday deadline to avoid arbitration, the Red Sox reportedly agreed to a one-year, $3.6 million deal with center field Jackie Bradley Jr., and also avoided hearings with six other players.

Shortstop Xander Bogaerts, utilityman Brock Holt, pitchers Joe Kelly, Robbie Ross Jr., Tyler Thornburgh and catcher Sandy Leon also agreed to one-year deals.

Terms of the deals were not announced.

It leaves left-handers Fernando Abad and Drew Pomeranz as the only arbitration-eligible Red Sox without a deal.