Beato up, De La Rosa down to Pawtucket

Beato up, De La Rosa down to Pawtucket
June 16, 2013, 1:00 pm
Share This Post

Pedro Beato was called up by the Red Sox on Sunday.

(USA Today Sports)

BALTIMORE -- Still uncertain about when Clay Buchholz will pitch again, the Red Sox nonetheless solidified some of their pitching plans for the near future Sunday.

The team announced that Alfredo Aceves and Felix Doubront will start the day-night doubleheader against Tampa Bay Tuesday at Fenway.

The Sox had been contemplating using either Aceves or Rubby de la Rosa for one of the starts Tuesday, but decided to return de la Rosa to Pawtucket on Sunday and return him to the Triple A rotation.

"We didn't want Rubby to get too far away from the progress he's been making in that role," said Farrell. 

In de la Rosa's place, the Red Sox promoted Pedro Beato from Pawtucket.

Beato was the fifth pitching promotion from Pawtucket in the last week, following Jose de la Torre, Aceves, Alex Wilson and de la Rosa.

The Sox remain hopeful that Buchholz, who's been sidelined for the last eight days with a sore trap muscle, will be able to throw a bullpen Tuesday, which will allow him to return to the rotation within a few days.

Farrell said if Buchholz hasn't progressed to the point of being able to throw a bullpen Tuesday, the team would almost certainly place him on the disabled list, retroactive to June 9.

In that case, the Sox would then call up either de la Rosa or Allen Webster to take Buchholz's next start.     

The team is willing to be flexible as to when that spot start takes place. But either way, the Sox will need with Buchholz or his replacement before Saturday.

"We've got a few moving parts to figure out,'' said Farrell.