Bailey makes Red Sox debut; other notes

844895.jpg

Bailey makes Red Sox debut; other notes

BALTIMORE -- Andrew Bailey was activated from the 60-day disabled list on Tuesday and made his Red Sox debut in the bottom of the eighth inning of the 7-1 loss to the Orioles. He faced two batters, walking the first and striking out the second.
He was glad to get his feet wet in a situation where the game wasnt exactly on the line.

Its been way too long, said Bailey, who fanned 10 in six minor-league rehab appearances prior to his activation. Everything felt good and the ball was coming out of my hand good. Ill just stay ready when the phone rings. I have no expectations and were in a situation where we just need to win ballgames.

Its expected that Alfredo Aceves will stay in the closer role for the time being and Bailey will work in a setup role. Bailey spent the first 116 games of the season on the DL after the Sox shipped Josh Reddick to the Oakland As in exchange for him last winter.

Jacoby Ellsbury went 2-for-5 iand has hit safely in each of his last 37 games against the Orioles dating back to April 17, 2009. He is hitting .416 (69-for-166) over that stretch and it represents the longer hit streak against the Orioles franchise. Ellsbury left the blowout loss early; manager Bobby Valentine said the center fielder was tight."

The Red Sox recorded 11 hits in the game, but went a pitiful 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left 12 runners on base. Its not often you see a team outhit their opposition by an 11-7 margin and still lose the game by a score of 7-1.

Old friend J.C. Romero made his Baltimore Orioles debut on Tuesday night and pitched a scoreless eighth inning.

Sandoval 'starting from scratch' after career had 'fallen into an abyss'

Sandoval 'starting from scratch' after career had 'fallen into an abyss'

The Pablo Sandoval redemption tour is underway as the former World Series MVP tries to revive his career after two disastrous seasons with the Red Sox organization.

In an interview with ESPN Deportes, he admits to being “complacent” during his first two seasons in Boston after signing a five-year, $95 million deal. 

"My career had fallen into an abyss because I was so complacent with things that I had already accomplished," Sandoval said. "I did not work hard in order to achieve more and to remain at the level of the player that I am and that I can be."

After dealing Travis Shaw to the Brewers, Sandoval is expected to be the Red Sox primary third baseman in 2017.

"I am not taking anything for granted," he said. "I am here to work hard. I'm not thinking about the position or not. I am starting from scratch, and I am here to show what I can do on the field."

The 30-year-old says he’s following a “really strict routine” this offseason, and it shows. In a recent photo, Sandoval appears noticeably thinner. Sandoval says his wife giving birth to “Baby Panda” has served as inspiration.

"Watching 'Baby Panda' grow up and that he gets the opportunity to see his father play in the majors for seven, eight more years, to get back to the success I had, that's my motivation every day," Sandoval said. "The people that I surround myself with now and my family, they are the key to my success. This has been a life lesson."

Tanguay: Could Red Sox ownership be going for it now, then sell the team?

Tanguay: Could Red Sox ownership be going for it now, then sell the team?

Could John Henry sell ownership of the Boston Red Sox anytime soon, or does he want to keep winning?  Shaughnessy, Merloni, and Tanguay debate.