Aceves back with Sox after suspension; Morales to DL

766354.jpg

Aceves back with Sox after suspension; Morales to DL

ANAHEIM -- Reliever Alfredo Aceves rejoined the Red Sox Tuesday following a three-game suspension by the club for "conduct detrimental'' to the team.

Aceves was suspended Saturday night following a angry display in the bullpen when he wasn't used in a save situation. He later left Bobby Valentine's office after the game, slamming the door as he exited.

Because the suspension was still in place Monday, the Sox didn't allow Aceves to take the team charter Monday, forcing him to fly commerical to the West Coast.

Aceves met with Valentine Tuesday afternoon for about a half hour, then met with the coaching staff for 20 minutes.

"It's all over," said Valentine. "I'm excited about him possibly coming back and helping us win a game. I don't know that I have to explain conversations. He's moving forward, he's in uniform and hopefully he's going to help us win some games."

Aceves declined to answer questions about his suspension or whether he intended to file a grievance with the Players Association.

Asked if he expected to again assume the role of closer, Aceves said: "I wish I could know."

Valentine wouldn't commit to who would handle the ninth inning Tuesday night, noting only that it wouldn't be Andrew Bailey, who had pitched in four of the five previous games.

'He wants to pitch," said Valentine of Bailey. "He said he's fine. But Randy (Niemann) and I think it's a good day for him to have a day off."

To make room for the activation of Aceves, the Red Sox placed Franklin Morales on the disabled list with left shoulder weakness.

"It's a little weak," said Morales, who said he first felt something in his start last week against the Angels.

Morales plans to start throwing again Wednesday and should be able to return when his 15-day stint is up.

"I'm feeling better the last couple of days," said Morales.

Morales becomes the 27th Red Sox player to go on the DL this season, totaling 34 separate stints.

Red Sox outfield "Win, Dance, Repeat" celebration finds its way on MLB the Show 17

red-sox-outfield-dance-092816.jpg

Red Sox outfield "Win, Dance, Repeat" celebration finds its way on MLB the Show 17

Mooke Betts, Jackie Bradley Jr. and a mix of Andrew Benintendi, Brock Holt, Blake Swihart and Chris Young brought postgame celebrations to a new level last season.

Most Sox fans are familiar with the outfield victory "Win, Dance, Repeat" where the trio would dance and pretend to photograph the game's best player between them. The celebration ended with a pose at first, but as seen the MLB the Show 17's freshly released trailer, a few more wrinkes were added in.

In fact, here's a taste of the celebrations and what else to expect from Playstation's 2017 MLB game:

Report: Red Sox DH target Beltran agrees to 1-year deal with Astros

Report: Red Sox DH target Beltran agrees to 1-year deal with Astros

Carlos Beltran, the 39-year-old switch hitter who was a potential target of the Red Sox as a DH, agreed to a free-agent deal with the Houston Astros, ESPN's Buster Olney reported.

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports that it's a one-year, $16 million deal. 

Beltran played for the Astros in 2004. He was dealt from the New York Yankees to the Texas Rangers at the July 31 trading deadline last season. He totaled 35 homers, 101 RBI and hit .295 in 2016. 

The Red Sox, looking to fill the void left by David Ortiz's retirement, will be looking for a DH at the Winter Meetings that begin next week. One possibility is the return of Mike Napoli, who played for the A.L. champion Cleveland Indians last season.

More on the Winter Meetings here from CSN Red Sox Insider Sean McAdam.