Timeline of the Hernandez case

Timeline of the Hernandez case
July 1, 2013, 12:45 pm
Share This Post

Here's a day-by-day account of all that's happened surrounding the Odin Lloyd murder investigation, detailing everything that led up to Aaron Hernandez's arrest and everything that's happened since. We'll continue to update this page daily to keep up with any and all news that breaks.

July 16

More than 10 state police comb the medium of route 128 near Dedham and Woburn. While it's unclear what they were searching for or if they found anything, NECN reports that the search was linked to the Hernandez investigation.

July 10

It's already been discovered that Hernandez had a "flop house" in Franklin, MA with Carlos Ortiz, where he kept plenty of incriminating evidence, including a white sweatshirt that matches the one he wore on the night of the murder, and ammunition that matches the kind used to kill Lloyd. But if Hernandez and Ortiz were doing anything illegal inside of the flop house, it's news to the neighbors. USA Today reports that the neighbors didn't see anything worth raising an eyebrow at during Hernandez's and Ortiz's time.

Carol Bailey, who lived next door, said she knew Ortiz as "George" and Hernandez as George's cousin (as told to her by Ortiz). She also said she doesn't recall seeing any other football players at the place. Another neighbor called it more of a "bachelor pad", while other neighbors confirmed the quietness from within the apartment.


More details about the Hernandez murder case begin to emerge when Massachusetts authorities make 156 pages of documents and search warrants available to the public.

In a look at the warrants issued in Florida in regards to Hernandez's friend Ernest Wallace, it was determined that, according to an interview with Carlos Ortiz, Hernandez told Wallace that he fired the shots that killed Odin Lloyd.


Rober Kraft speaks to the media for the first time since Hernandez's arrest and subsequent release from the Patriots saying the team "made a mistake" regarding their commitment to Hernandez. Tom E. Curran says "At last..."

Ernest Wallace pleads "not guilty" to accessory to murder after the fact and is held without bail.


A report in the Boston Globe states Hernandez did everything the Patriots asked and didn't fail a single drug test.

According to The Globe's team source: "He showed up to meetings and practices on time, practiced hard, stayed in shape, was very coachable, and starred on the field, scoring 18 touchdowns in three seasons. Just as importantly, he didn’t fail one NFL drug test in three seasons.” 
The story notes New England's coaches did meet resistance when asking Hernandez to cut ties to hometown friends. “He would tune out and occasionally become angry,” when the subject was broached.  
The Globe raises the possibility of Hernandez landing in jail even if he is acquitted of murdering Odin Lloyd. 
The gun charges filed against the tight end "carry a maximum sentence of 10 years for each of two counts of carrying a “large capacity firearm”; five years for one count of carrying a firearm without a license; two years for possession of a firearm without a Firearm Identification Card; and two years for possession of ammunition without a Firearm Identification Card."
The Boston Herald reports Ernest Wallace is released to Massachusetts and faces a charge of accessory afar the fact in the murder of Odin Lloyd. Wallace is believed to have been in the car with Hernandez when they drove to the shooting scene. He was arrested last week in Florida. 
Urban Meyer, who coached Hernandez at Florida, finally addresses some of the allegations regarding his former tight end. 
“Prayers and thoughts are with the family and friends of the victim," Meyer says via text to the Columbus Dispatch. "Relating or blaming these serious charges to the University of Florida, myself or our staff is wrong and irresponsible.
“[Hernandez] was an athlete at Florida 4-7 yrs ago and there are some comments being made that are not correct.  Our staff, myself and our families worked very hard to mentor and guide him.”
Various reports detail the Hernadez jersey exchange at Gillette Stadium.
The Patriots tweet that, as of 5 p.m. on Saturday, nearly 1,200 No. 81 jerseys had been swapped
Tom Brady, Vince Wilfork, Stevan Ridley, and Chandler Jones were some of the most popular replacement jerseys requested by fans. 
Bristol County DA Samuel Sutter expresses irritation that a public defender was contacted on behalf of Ernest Wallace even though Wallace already had a defense attorney on his case. Speculation is that Hernandez is paying for Wallace’s defense.
Snoop throws his support behind Hernandez.
Alexander Bradley, who filed a civil suit against Hernandez for a February shooting that cost him an eyeball, is summoned to testify before a Massachusetts grand jury on July 17.
The wife and daughter of Hernandez’ college coach, Urban Meyer, take to Twitter to absolve Meyer of any responsibility for his management of Hernandez while he was a Gator.
Boston Mayor Tom Menino appeals to the public for leads in the 2012 double murder police are investigating that Hernandez may have ties to.
An eBay buyer has come up with the high bid for 15 auctions of Hernandez jerseys then refused to pay.
Investigators continue to search a Franklin apartment belonging to Hernandez. According to FOX 25, “one of the (search) warrants requested permission to search anyone found at the condo to see if they could be carrying cocaine. Based on the paperwork, it doesn't appear any drugs were found. A white hoodie, a baseball hat and rounds of ammo were found.
"Police say they have surveillance video of Hernandez wearing that hoodie around the time Odin Lloyd was murdered and the hat two nights before when the two were partying at a Boston club. The information is allegedly coming from friend Carlos Ortiz.”


Bristol Country Sheriff Thomas M. Hodgson told USA Today that he would try to prevent Hernandez from marrying fiancee Shayanna Jenkins because if they were to marry before Hernandez's trial, she wouldn't have to testify against him.

ABC News reports that authorities investigating the murder of Odin Lloyd have contacted police in Gainesville to determine whether Hernandez had a role in a September 2007 shooting there. Gainesville police, however, say that authorities from Massachusetts have not yet inquired about a 2007 shooting possibly involved Aaron Hernandez.

Jeff Howe of the Boston Herald spoke to a few Patriots who played with Hernandez but saw him as a loner. “No one hung out with him,” one player said. “No one.”



Bristol County Sheriff Thomas Hodgson details Hernandez's demeanor in Bristol County Jail, saying, “He’s been very polite, very respectful.He doesn’t seem nervous, which is unusual for someone who’s never been incarcerated before.  He now has three hours out of his cell each day.  That’s an hour outside, by himself, an hour to shower and make phone calls, and another hour to see visitors.” Hodgson says Hernandez denied any gang involvement.
Thaddeus Singleton III, who police were seeking to interview about Hernandez, dies when the car he was driving shot 100 feet through the air and struck the Farmington Country Club six feet off the ground. The car Singleton was driving was registered to Hernandez’ uncle, Andres Valderrama. Singleton was married to Tanya Valderrama whose home in Bristol had been searched by police on more than one occasion in the previous week. Carlos Ortiz, also being held in the slaying of Lloyd, often stayed at the home, law enforcement told the Hartford Courant.
Bill Polian, former president of the Indianapolis Colts, says his team was “not in the Hernandez business” leading up the 2010 draft.
An appeal to the public for assistance in finding a broken mirror from a 2013 Altima is delivered.
Hernandez jerseys are fetching high prices on EBay.
The Hartford Courant reports a brawl broke out early Saturday morning in a Connecticut diner after a patron said, “Hey, Aaron Hernandez!” when seeing a man who resembled the ex-Patriot with two other men. Two of the three men arrested after the brawl say they were dining with D.J. Hernandez, who reportedly was not involved in the brawl.
Hernandez’ coach at the University of Florida, Urban Meyer, says, “I’m not going to talk about that,” when asked about Hernandez’ arrest. Meyer is currently head coach at Ohio State University.
Ernest Wallace, allegedly one of the three men in Hernandez’ car the night Lloyd was murdered, will be extradited from Florida to face charges in Massachusetts.
Bengals owner Mike Brown says his team was wary of Hernandez’ character prior to the 2010 NFL Draft. “That one is no secret. We just stayed away from it,” said Brown.
The Wall Street Journal says Hernandez ruptured a bar employee’s eardrum with a punch after being ejected from a Gainesville bar in April of 2007. Tim Tebow reportedly tried to intervene.


Deion Branch, speaking to media in Albany, Georgia, calls Hernandez “my guy” and speaks warmly of their friendship. Hernandez lived directly across the street from Branch. Branch also notes what is most important is that Lloyd’s killer be brought to justice.
Sales of Hernandez memorabilia moves swiftly on eBay.

A Patriots source tells The Boston Globe the team will refuse to pay the balance of Hernandez’ signing bonus ($3.25 million), his guaranteed salaries in 2013 and 2014 ($2.5 million) and $200,000 in workout and roster bonuses. 

“It was guaranteed for skill and injury, but it wasn’t guaranteed for personal conduct that cast the club in a negative light, and that’s why we cut him,” a team source told The Globe. “We know the CBA. We are well within our rights.”

The silver SUV that was towed from the garage of Hernandez’ uncle, Andres Valderrama is impounded. Valderrama’s Bristol home is where Carlos Ortiz, who was allegedly with Hernandez and Lloyd the night of Lloyd’s murder, was nabbed.

Odin Lloyd’s funeral is held.
Ernest Wallace is denied bail in Florida and is informed he will be extradited to Massachusetts where he will reportedly be charged with being an accessory after the fact in Odin Lloyd’s murder.

A Connecticut judge rules that Carlos Ortiz be turned over to authorities in Massachusetts.

Ernest Wallace is arrested in Miramar, Fla., which leads Bristol County District Attorney Sam Sutter to explain that he believes all three men who were in a car with Lloyd on the night of his death -- Hernandez, Ortiz and Wallace -- are in custody.

Jail officials look into Hernandez's tattoos for his safety. “We’ll be looking at his tattoos to see if there are any symbols that affiliate with gangs,” Bristol County Sheriff Thomas Hodgson told the Boston Herald.  “We have to always be vigilant around security and not place him somewhere where there are rival gang members.”

The Patriots offer to exchange any Hernandez jersey purchased from the team store or online. “We know that children love wearing their Patriots jerseys," team spokesperson Stacey James said, "but may not understand why parents don’t want them wearing their Hernandez jerseys anymore. We hope this opportunity to exchange those jerseys at the Patriots ProShop for another player’s jersey will be well received by parents.”

The lawyer for the man suing Hernandez for shooting him in the face after a night out in Florida says that his client was left to die by the former Patriots tight end. According to the lawyer, Alexander Bradley was left bleeding and alone in an industrial park for no reason. “I think he was left there because they thought he would be dead,” attorney David Jaroslawicz told Lindsay Jones of USA Today.


Carlos Ortiz is arrested and held at the Hartford Correctional Center in connection to the Lloyd case, according to the Boston Globe. He admits to being in possession of a firearm in North Attleboro on the night of Lloyd's death and is held on $1.5 million bail.

Andres Valderrama, Hernandez's uncle, has his Bristol, Conn. home searched by investigators from both Connecticut and Massachusetts.

Matt Light gives an interview with the Dayton Daily News and is the first of Hernandez's teammates -- past or present -- to provide a statement on the former Patriots tight end. “I never talk about other guys, but I will say I have never embraced — never believed in — anything Aaron Hernandez stood for,” Light said.

More trouble -- potentially much more trouble -- for Hernandez comes to light when Fox 25 reports that he is being investigated in connection with a double murder in Boston that occurred in July of 2012. Witnesses say that a gray or silver SUV with Rhode Island plates opened fire on and killed Safiro Furtado and Daniel Abreu.

The Globe reports later that Lloyd's death could have bee tied to the double murder in Boston. “The motive [for killing Odin Lloyd] might have been that [Lloyd] knew [Hernandez] might have been involved” in the July 2012 homicides, an unnamed law-enforcement official told Maria Cramer of the Globe.

In what appears to be a fast-moving investigation, the Boston Police Department locates and tows the silver SUV it had been seeking in connection to the 2012 double murder. Investigators believe Hernandez was renting the SUV at the time of the killings.

At Fall River Superior Court, Hernandez appeals the ruling that he was to be held without bail and is denied. “I think the Commonwealth has presented a case that’s circumstantial, to be sure, but a very, very strong circumstantial case,” Judge Renee Dupuis said.

At the hearing, Bristol County Assistat DA William McCauley said that there is reason to believe Hernandez killed Lloyd with a gun he's holding in a picture that was published by TMZ on Wednesday.

As CytoSport did the week before, Puma dropped Hernandez as one of its endorsers.

Hernandez clears NFL waivers and is, understandably, still jobless after the Patriots released him Wednesday.

There is some support for Hernandez, whose mother, Terri, tells the Bristol Press that her son "will be cleared of all these charges in the end." Also, fans outside the Fall River Superior Court chant "Innocent! Innocent!" as Hernandez is transported from the courtroom back to jail.

An alert is issued by authorities to indicate that Ernest Wallace (ask Bo Fish) is wanted as an accessory after the fact of the Lloyd murder. He is considered armed and dangerous.

At about 8:45 a.m., police enter Hernandez’ home in North Attleboro and take him into custody. The charge for which he’s under arrest is not immediately known.
Saying it’s “the right thing to do” the Patriots release Hernandez. Beyond the football and PR implications of this move, there are financial considerations to weigh as well.
The NFL releases a statement saying, “The involvement of an NFL player in a case of this nature is deeply troubling,” the statement read. “The Patriots have released Aaron Hernandez, who will have his day in court.
“At the same time, we should not forget the young man who was the victim in this case and take this opportunity to extend our deepest sympathy to Odin Lloyd’s family and friends.”
A league source tells PFT that Hernandez’ arrest in relation to a murder investigation was the threshold they had for releasing him. Any arrest in connection to the death of Odin Lloyd for murder or less. This news comes hours before Hernandez’ 2 p.m. arraignment. Patriots sources will later say they didn’t know in advance what the charge would be.
Hernandez is arraigned and charged with first degree murder and five weapons violations in Attleboro District Court. The evidence – while circumstantial – is meticulously laid out by the prosecution. Bail is denied.
Handcuffed and shackled, Hernandez is transported to Bristol County District Court in Dartmouth, Mass.
A 2009 picture of Hernandez, unearthed by TMZ, shows the ex-Patriots taking a selfie while holding a Glock just months before the Patriots drafted him.


Hernandez hires Jamie Sultan, an experienced criminal defense lawyer.

"All records of the Attleboro District Court Clerk Magistrate’s office involving the homicide investigation in North Attleboro have been impounded by order of the court,” said a notice posted outside Attleboro District Court Magistrate Mark E. Sturdy's office on Tuesday. “No further information is available at this time.”

Florida Athletics Director Jeremy Foley told al.com that Hernandez was not a trouble-maker at Florida, despite reports claiming otherwise that NFL teams used to steer clear in the 2010 draft.


A search of a pond near Hernandez’ home turns up no evidence.
Hernandez’ attorney Michael Fee makes a statement lambasting the media for false reports. Fee states his client has been “the subject of a relentless flood of rumors, misinformation and false reports in the media.” And specifically mentions the presence of a warrant for Hernandez’ arrest that was not executed.

On Sunday, with the investigation falling quiet -- at least outwardly -- about three dozen media members continue their stakeout of Hernandez’ home.
Column: The importance of projecting a positive image and cultivating the “brand” became the tail that wagged the dog for the Patriots.

Police obtain a search warrant for a Providence strip club. Gerald DiSanto, owner of a peeler named Club Desire, tells the Boston Herald he neither knows what police are looking for nor whether Hernandez frequents the establishment.
In the mid-afternoon, about a dozen police enter Hernandez’ home with two police dogs and a portable crime lab. Investigators stayed for four hours and exited with several bags of evidence.

Reports that Hernandez’ is likely to be arrested begin to circulate. The early indications are that obstruction of justice will be the charge.
It is reported in the Boston Globe that Lloyd was shot multiple times and he was shot at the industrial park where he was found.
Conflicting reports about an arrest warrant being issued for Hernandez’ arrest arise. Many outlets report a “paper warrant” being issued. The presence or absence of a warrant becomes a bone for the media to gnaw on for a few days.
Ursula Ward, the mother of Odin Lloyd, tells ABC, “I want the person that killed my son to be brought to justice. That’s my first-born child, my only boy child, and they took him away from me. . . .  I wouldn’t trade him for all the money in the world.  And if money could bring him back I would give this house up to bring my son back.  Nothing can bring my son back.”
CytoSport, makers of the popular fitness drink Muscle Milk, drops Hernandez as a paid sponsor.

Rumors that Hernandez destroyed his cell phone and home surveillance system are confirmed by ABC.
The belief that Hernandez was associated with gang members is reported to have led to his plummeting to the fourth round of the 2010 draft when the Patriots took him with the 113th pick. In the pre and post-draft process, focus had been on Hernandez’ positive marijuana tests as the reason for his fall.
Additionally, it’s revealed that Hernandez and three other University of Florida players were questioned about a 2007 shooting in Gainesville, Florida after a game against Auburn. The two men were shot while driving in traffic around 2:30 a.m.
The Alexander Bradley lawsuit that alleges Hernandez shot him in February is re-filed. The police report states that Bradley refused to cooperate with officers responding to his dire injuries.
Neighbors heard gunshots in the early morning hours of Monday morning, according to FOX 25.

WBZ-TV reports that Hernandez has “not been ruled out as a suspect” in the death of a man found early Monday morning in a North Attleboro industrial park.
The victim is first identified. He is 27-year-old Odin Lloyd of Dorchester. Lloyd dated the sister of Hernandez’s fiancée.
Alexander Bradley files a lawsuit in Miami alleging that, on February 13, Hernandez pointed a gun at him that discharged causing injuries to his arm and face and blowing out his right eyeball.
Based on conversations with investigators of other crimes, a process for how the investigation will proceed is laid out. It’s noted that any effort to destroy evidence or recording devices, like cell phones, will be seen as a “consciousness of guilt” by prosecutors and could be damaging.
It’s reported that Hernandez and two other men were seen with Odin Lloyd on the night he died. The report, citing law enforcement officials and filed by FOX 25, indicates the four were in a Boston bar and left together but only three men were observed at Hernandez’ home. Reports of cell phone messages from Lloyd indicating he was with Hernandez have been found.

By late morning, rumors circulate about a dead body found near the home of Aaron Hernandez and police being interested in speaking to the Patriots tight end. With scant details, a handful of media converge on 22 Ronald C. Meyer Drive by the mid-afternoon.
Just before 6 p.m., Sports Illustrated echoed a Sun Chronicle (Attleboro) report that police were seeking a 2013 Chevrolet Suburban with Rhode Island license plates in connection with the still unidentified homicide victim. According to the paper, the vehicle was registered to Enterprise and investigators were hoping to analyze it for fingerprints. A source told SI that Hernandez's name is tied to that rental vehicle.
At 7 p.m., police vehicles wheel up to Hernandez’ home and about 10 investigators enter. They are inside for about two hours and emerge with a cardboard box.
While the investigation is ongoing, two men exit the house and are stopped and questioned by police then spirited away in separate cruisers. Also, a deliveryman dropped off a package from the Boston law firm Ropes and Gray around 7:30 p.m.
ABC reports that Hernandez was initially “uncooperative” in his dealings with police.
Patriots VP of Media Relations Stacey James releases a statement saying, “I am aware of the reports, but I do not anticipate that we will be commenting publicly during an ongoing police investigation.”

The Hernandez situation seems to add a layer to an offseason of 2013 headaches.

A jogger finds a dead body at 5:30 a.m. in a North Attleboro industrial park. The deceased will later be identified as Odin Lloyd.