Any momentum Ryan Mallett may have built up toward the end of the first quarter was all but erased by the time the Patriots and Redskins headed into their respective locker rooms at halftime.
He completed his first ball of the second quarter to Brandon LaFell for ten yards and on his next drive found James Develin for a hard-working 13-yard pickup.
After that, it got ugly. It wasn't all Mallett's doing; both Josh Boyce and Roy Finch appeared to run incorrect routes resulting in incompletions. But Mallett shot one toward Kenbrell Thompkins' ankles, succombed to pressure for another incompletion, and shot a screen pass way over the head of Finch.
Mallett finished the half 5-for-12 for 55 yards.
Here are some other notes from the second quarter:
* Dan Connolly got reps at center while Nate Solder remained in at left tackle to start the quarter. They were the only two starters still on the field when the second began.
* Develin's 13-yard catch was typical Develin. Soft hands to reel it in. Then he lowered his shoulder to pick up an extra yard before being forced out of bounds. He could get more reps at tight end in the second half with the team's depth lacking at that spot.
* Jonas Gray got a chance to tote the rock in the second but wasn't able to do much with it.
* Kenbrell Thompkins showed strong hands to haul in a Mallett pass near the sideline for ten yards near the end of the quarter.
* Ryan Allen made a beautiful punt to start the quarter, pinning the Redskins down on the one-yard line.
* Logan Ryan was beat on a slant by Aldrick Robinson for the second time tonight early in the quarter.
* Duron Harmon, Patrick Chung and Tavon Wilson appear to be rotating in at safety and getting a relatively similar number of reps.
* Zach Moore has done a decent job of getting pressure off the edge. The sixth-round draft pick was playing defensive end and showed good power by bull-rushing Redskins tackles.
* Corner Malcolm Butler might've had the best half of any Patriot. He broke up two more passes in the second quarter and has generally stuck with his assignment. He did get flagged for an unnecessary roughness play for a late hit out of bounds, however.