Brandon Lloyd said it wasn't about the money. And then he walked it like he talked it. On Saturday, the wide receiver confirmed he'd agreed to a deal with the Patriots. The reported money -- 12 million over three years -- is at the extreme low end of deals other wideouts have agreed to this offseason. To just grab one comparison from the many we could make, Laurent Robinson signed over the weekend with the Jaguars. His deal was for five years, 32.5 million. He gets more guaranteed money that Lloyd will make over the life of his deal. Why didn't Lloyd get that kind of money? Where were his suitors?Was it that he was too open about wanting to join the Patriots, scaring off other teams? Was it because he was a moody guy earlier in his career? Was it because he's 30? Probably a little of all of that. But the fact Lloyd was not hung up on chasing the last nickel also made it easier for this deal to get done. Before free agency began, I asked Lloyd, "Is winning or monetary stability the highest priority for you?""Winning is definitely the highest priority," Lloyd said. "I've been in the league for 10 years and I don't look at the NFL as a place where I can 'horde' money or try and get as much money as I possibly can. It's not the end of the world. It's a career. And I've put together a nice career and I think that I want to be put in a position where I can get to the playoffs and see my talents on that stage and be able to help a team move forwad in the playoffs. That's the No. 1 goal. I'm pretty happy with where I am financially and I really want to be with the right fit."Would Lloyd be coming to New England if another team dangled him twice as much money and the Patriots stuck at 3 and 12? We'll never know. All we know for sure is that Lloyd said winning was his priority and -- when it came time to choose -- he chose to go to the team that's had the most success in the league over the past11 seasons.
BOSTON -- The Bruins’ season has gone in extreme swings both up and down thus far through the first couple of months, and that was the case as they lost their third game in a row to the Maple Leafs on Saturday night.
The Bruins couldn’t only scratch for one goal despite outshooting the Maple Leafs by a 32-20 margin, and fell by a disappointing 4-1 score to the young and talented Toronto club at TD Garden.
The Bruins never enjoyed a lead in the game against the Leafs, and were flirting with danger after failing to score in the first period despite out-shooting Toronto by an 11-2 margin in the game’s opening 20 minutes. Instead it was a David Pastrnak neutral zone turnover in the second period that was picked off by William Nylander, and ended with Auston Matthews firing a rocket over Tuukka Rask for his 12th goal of the season.
Toronto extended the lead with five minutes to go in the period when Zach Hyman tipped a wobbly Jake Gardiner point shot past Rask, and made it three games in a row that the Bruins have dug themselves a considerable hole. Brad Marchand got one goal back at the end of the second period on a nice hustle play as he sealed off Frederik Anderson’s clearing attempt and then stuffed the puck past the Leafs goalie on a second chance bid.
That’s the way the score remained until the third period when the Bruins couldn’t convert on a couple of offensive chances -- included a bang-bang shorthanded bid for Austin Czarnik in front of the net -- and then James van Riemsdyk scored in front as a Toronto power play expired. That was the backbreaker for a Black and Gold bunch that continues to scrap for goals, and has now scored two goals or less in 20 of their 20 games this season.
Connor Brown added an empty netter in the final two minutes of the game to truly put it out of reach for the Bruins.
BOSTON -- There was a bomb threat to the Boston Celtics’ team plane to Oklahoma City on Saturday afternoon, but no one was injured.
The incident will be investigated by NBA security which will work in conjunction with the FBI on this matter which was one of several hoaxes called into airports across the country on Saturday.
News of the bomb threat was first known when Celtics forward Jae Crowder posted an Instagram photo showing players departing the plane with the caption, “BOMB THREAT ON US”.
Celtics officials declined to comment on the matter and instead referred all bomb threat-related questions to the league office.
Messages to the league office were not immediately returned.