Kraft a fan of injured reserve rule change

581182.jpg

Kraft a fan of injured reserve rule change

PALM BEACH -- A proposal allowing teams to designate a player for return from injured reserve after spending eight weeks out has support from the Patriots.

Owner Robert Kraft, speaking Tuesday at the NFL Owner's Meetings, volunteered that Tom Brady wanted to come off IR at the end of the 2008 season to play down the stretch.

The possibility of a vital player doing that, said Kraft, is good for the league.

"It allows us to keep the game more exciting for those teams that are trying to play to make it to the playoffs, it's a great opportunity to try and do that," said Kraft. "I think it's a very positive move."

The current IR rules have been in place since 1993.

Rich McKay, chairman of the NFL's Competition Committee, explained the tweaks on a conference call last week.

''I'm going to call it an injured reserve exception for major injury to a designated player,'' McKay said. ''Traditionally, in our system, injured reserve players have been out for the year. In this case, if that player was on the roster all the way through the first regular-season weekend, then you could put that player on injured reserve, designate that player for return and the player could begin to practice six weeks after he has gone on that list. And play in games eight weeks after he has gone on that list. ''

OFFSEASON

Report: Celtics hoping to sign Horford, bring him to Durant meeting

Report: Celtics hoping to sign Horford, bring him to Durant meeting

The Celtics met with Al Horford Friday and it appears they’re trying to get him to sign before their meeting on Saturday with Kevin Durant.

Multiple outlets have already suggested that theory, but Basketball Insiders’ Alex Kennedy tweeted late Friday that’s actually what the Celtics are attempting to do. It's similar to what the Suns tried last summer by signing Tyson Chandler and then bringing him to their meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge. They almost did have Aldridge signed, but he changed his mind over the 48 hours between his meeting and his decision.

Unfortunately for the Celtics, it sounds like Horford wants to take the weekend before deciding, according to The Vertical's Adrian Wojnarowski.

If the Celtics are able to get Horford agree to a max contract Friday, it’d likely be a huge boost to their chances of signing Durant. But they might have to wait a bit.