FOXBORO -- Tom Brady's weekly "Meet the Press" turn on Wednesdays serves a bigger purpose than just filling airtime, bandwidth and column inches. It is an opportunity for the team's most important player to set the agenda for his teammates. On this Wednesday, a semi-terse Brady stepped to the podium and made it very clear how he's treating Sunday's game in Philly. Like a playoff game. "We're putting it all into this week," Brady said in his opening remarks. "We got a lot on the line. It's a very good team. There's skill at every position. Going on the road and trying to win a tough game on the road at the most important time of the year. It says a lot about (us as a team)."The Patriotshave rebounded fromconsecutive losses to the Giants and Steelers with wins overthe Jets and Chiefs. They hold a two-game lead in the AFC East over the Jets and Bills and -- stepping into a non-conference game -- they actually have some breathing room. But Brady's tone registered urgency. I asked him why. "It's a big week for us," he repeated. "We need to play really well. Certainly better than we played the last few weeks. There's a lot of people on our team and our offense that have taken the challenge that our coach has given us and we're gonna go out there and try to play our best and I think we need to do that."The results are there for the Patriots, but the product is not as polished as it needs to be. Brady has said that over and over again this year. And he realizes that his offense is still trying to establish what it does consistently well as the calendar flips to December. "This is the time of year where it's most important," Brady said. "There's not a lot of games left so when you play a tough team on the road that came off one of the biggest games of their season, you've got everything you could ask for so we'll try to play our best."
NATIONAL HARBOR, Md. -- As the annual winter meetings get underway today, the market for arguably the best free-agent hitter may be -- against all logic -- lessening.
Edwin Encarnacion, who has averaged 39 homers a year over the last five seasons, should be a player in demand.
But in quick succession, the Houston Astros and New York Yankees, two teams thought to be in the market for Encarnacion, opted to go with older hitters who required shorter deals -- Carlos Beltran and Matt Holliday.
Further, the Toronto Blue Jays' signing of Steve Pearce to a two-year deal Monday, coupled with their earlier acquisition of Kendrys Morales, closes the door on a potential return to Toronto for Encarnacion.
Seemingly, all of that would position the Red Sox, in search of a DH to replace the retired David Ortiz, to swoop in and land Encarnacion for far less than they could have imagined only weeks ago.
And yet, it appears as though things would have to change considerably for the Red Sox to reach agreement with Encarnacion.
While the first baseman-DH is known to be Ortiz's first choice as his replacement, for now, the economics don't work for the Sox -- even as Enacarnacion's leverage drops.
Encarnacion is expecting a deal of at least four years, with an average annual value around $20 million.
The Red Sox, industry sources indicate, are very much mindful of the luxury tax threshold. The Sox have, however modestly, gone over the threshold in each of the last two seasons, and even with a bump due to last week's new CBA, the Sox are dangerously close to the 2018 limit of $195 million.
Should the Sox go over for a third straight year, their tax would similarly ratchet up.
That, and the fact that Encarnacion would cost the Sox their first-round pick next June -- for this offseason, compensation for players given a qualifying offer comes under the old CBA rules -- represents two huge disincentives.
It's far more likely that the Sox will seek a cheaper option at DH from among a group that includes Pedro Alvarez and Mike Napoli. Neither is in Encarnacion's class, but then again, neither would cost a draft pick in return, or the long-term investment that Encarnacion is said to be seeking.
Former Celtics and current Bulls point guard Rajon Rondo is up to his old tricks, apparently.
The Bulls have suspended Rondo for Monday’s game due to conduct detrimental to the team, with Adrian Wojnarowski of The Vertical saying that the suspension is the result of a “heated exchange” the 30-year-old had with a Bulls assistant during or after the team’s 107-82 loss to the Mavericks Saturday.
Rajon Rondo -- suspended for tonight's game -- had a "heated exchange" with a Bulls assistant in Mavericks loss, sources tell @TheVertical.— Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojVerticalNBA) December 5, 2016
Rondo clashing with others is nothing new. He once shattered a television on which the Celtics were showing him game footage to critique him and had to be carried out kicking and screaming by Kevin Garnett. Chris Sheridan reported in 2013 that Doc Rivers had an “intense dislike” for Rondo and that the two almost fought.
After being traded out of Boston, Rondo was suspended for a game by the Mavericks after a shouting match with Rick Carlisle. Last December, he was suspended for calling referee Bill Kennedy a homophobic slur, leading to Kennedy coming out as gay.
Interestingly enough, there's something of a pattern of Rondo's bigger infractions occuring in games against former teams. The Kennedy incident came in a game against the Celtics, while this recent one was against Dallas.
This is the first season of a two-year, $28 million Rondo signed with the Bulls in the offseason. He is averaging 8.2 points per game, 7.2 assists per game and 6.7 rebounds a night.