UPDATE: L.A. reportedly rejects C's offer for Doc

UPDATE: L.A. reportedly rejects C's offer for Doc
June 15, 2013, 4:15 pm
Share This Post

UPDATE: The Los Angeles Times reported that the Clippers have rejected the Celtics' offer for Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett and that Rivers is "prepared to stay in Boston, [according to] sources."

SAN ANTONIO - The Doc Rivers era in Boston appears closer to coming to an end.

A league source told CSNNE.com that the Celtics are having "preliminary discussions" about orchestrating a deal with the Los Angeles Clippers that would free up Rivers to be the Clippers' next head coach.

"That's where things are now," he said.

Determining the amount of compensation the Celtics will want for Rivers will be the biggest issue in the process. 

Boston wants some combination of players, draft picks and potentially cash to allow Rivers out of his contract, which has three years and $21 million left. According to Yahoo! Sports, the Celtics want guard Eric Bledsoe included in a deal that would send center DeAndre Jordan and two first-round draft choices to the Celtics for Kevin Garnett and the right to hire Rivers as coach. The C's and Clippers had discussed a Bledsoe and Jordan-for-Garnett deal at last year's trade deadline. There is also speculation that Paul Pierce, whose contract may not be renewed by Boston, would join Rivers and Garnett in Los Angeles as a free agent.

CSNNE.com reported earlier that Rivers was very concerned about the extent of rebuilding the C's will have to do as they transition away from the Big Three era.

Swinging a deal with the Clippers may allow the Celtics to acquire the kind of assets needed to rebuild itself quickly into a title contender.

Another league source anticipated the Rivers saga to be wrapped up before the NBA draft on June 27.

"Things could still fall apart," the first source said. "But it's on the Clippers to make this work. So we'll see."