Sullinger headed back to court on Oct. 28

Sullinger headed back to court on Oct. 28
September 23, 2013, 12:15 pm
Share This Post

WALTHAM — Boston Celtics forward Jared Sullinger returns to the court -- that's a court of law, not basketball court -- on October 28 following a domestic violence incident on August 31 with his longtime girlfriend.

Sullinger, along with his attorney Charles W. Rankin, appeared at a pre-trail hearing in Waltham District Court Monday.

"He's doing fine," Rankin said after the new court date was announced. "He's embarrassed but he's doing fine and hoping that it comes to an end soon."

The longer this case goes unresolved, the more likely it becomes a potential issue in terms of him missing games in order to appear in court.

Boston's first game of the season will be at Toronto on October 30.

Since the incident occurred, Celtics rookie coach Brad Stevens has expressed his displeasure in Sullinger being involved in an incident like this.

"Certainly very disappointed," Stevens said in an interview with Comcast SportsNet. "And when I talked to him, he was very remorseful and certainly disappointed."

After a domestic violence incident involving his girlfriend Deann Smith on August 31, Sullinger was charged with assault and battery, destruction of property valued at more than $250 (her cell phone) and intimidation of a witness.

According to the police report, the incident stemmed from Smith and Sullinger arguing after she "found evidence on his cell phone that he was cheating on her."

It began as a verbal spat, but later became physical when he "pushed her down onto the bed and got on top of her."

In the report, she states that she tried to get up "several times" but he kept "pinning her down" and would not let her up.

She was able to get to her phone, but Sullinger took it out of her hands when she told him that she was going to call the police.

The verbal argument continued and Sullinger pushed her down to the ground in the living room as he walked out into the garage before heading out to a pre-arranged trip to Ohio.

She later found her phone smashed in another room, still operable but shattered on both sides according to the report.

At his arraignment on September 3, Sullinger entered a plea of not guilty.

District Court Judge Gregory C. Flynn ruled that Sullinger could talk to her on the phone but was ordered to stay away from the apartment they shared and could see her only if a third party was present.

CSNNE.com learned that Sullinger's attorney filed a motion that was received by the court on September 10 to have the stay away and no unsupervised contact orders be eliminated.

Also on Sept.10, Smith's attorney Melinda L. Thompson submitted a three-page affidavit to the court that included among other things, Smith telling the court in a sidebar on September 3 that she "opposed the stay away and no contact order," and that she "did not want to pursue the case and is not fearful of Mr. Sullinger."

According to court records obtained by CSNNE.com, a hearing on the motion was held and has since been allowed.

In a phone interview with CSNNE.com last week, a spokesperson for the Middlesex District Attorney's office said they were opposed to any changes to Flynn's earlier ruling.

"We feel the original ruling was appropriate," said MaryBeth Long.